Truck box replacement floor

acecard

Hi all,

Started work on the truck house build yesterday; started by first ripping up the old battered floor that was in the box.

Now I'm wondering what to replace this with?! The old stuff is 18mm ply with a plastic film on the base which was clearly to stop wet from the road rotting it. Would it be ok to just replace it with standard ply and just treat/stain the bottom to waterproof it? Or maybe wrap the ply in that Tyvek water barrier membrane first?

Also, the original stuff is BLOODY HEAVY! Must be 40kg a sheet! Thinking of replacing it with something like 9mm ply, seeing as I will be adding extra rigidity with the flooring battens and top board!! This will save me probably 150kgs to spend on extra solar panels!!

Any objections to this plan guys?! Any suggestions warmly welcome!!!! Also, would you guys prefer for me to collate everything into a single build diary, or keep each topic separate?

AC

Attachments

david.c.hall

The floors of Coachbuilts are often a sandwich construction, along the lines of 9 mm waterproof ply (or water proofed) with at least 25 mm celotex and then 9 mm ply top layer.
This is all glued together over the whole surface with the joints in the ply skins out of sycn with each other.
This produces a very rigid insulated floor to build on.
David

Roadrunner

You can now buy a plastic fibre flooring,i used ply first time and had to redo again after a few years,now i have epoxy two packed & glass fibred the new boards both sides before putting down.
If doing a van from scratch i would go for first lawer plastic fibre board,your shout.

acecard

The floors of Coachbuilts are often a sandwich construction, along the lines of 9 mm waterproof ply (or water proofed) with at least 25 mm celotex and then 9 mm ply top layer.
This is all glued together over the whole surface with the joints in the ply skins out of sycn with each other.
This produces a very rigid insulated floor to build on.
David
Ok, yes, like SIPs panels that are used for houses which end up being super rigid. From what I understand, isn't the glueing of these panels done under immense pressure to create the required bond?

acecard

You can now buy a plastic fibre flooring,i used ply first time and had to redo again after a few years,now i have epoxy two packed & glass fibred the new boards both sides before putting down.
If doing a van from scratch i would go for first lawer plastic fibre board,your shout.
I like the sound of the fibre flooring, but it looks like the cost of this will be the inhibiting factor. So, with your ply floor, are you saying that you layered it with epoxy and glass fibre? Which brands did you use?

Thanks

acecard

Raptor paint was mentioned in another unrelated thread of mine on here..........Thinking that it might be an idea to paint the underside of my plywood floor boards with this in order to keep the road water out.........saw a guy on youtube paint his boat in it!

acecard

In the end I bit the bullet and shelled out £300 for some proper 18mm phenolic plywood, which was actually quite cheap compared to what some companies charge. My reasoning was that this will be carrying the entire load of the living space, so thought it best not to skimp on thickness. Regarding the waterproofing, it worked out that by the time I would have bought cheaper board and treated/coated it to resist any possible road water, I would only be saving a max of about £150............and then there is the time cost of having to do all the treating work, so was a false economy really! Sometimes you have to just accept the cost of things if it is worth it!!!!