Thinking of buying a Eberspacher D4E Hydronic system.

Littleoldman

I saw this system at the Motorhome and Caravan Show. It looks good it was pretty expensive in the show £2100 but I’ve seen it since at under £1500. This makes it competitive to the Truma system. For me the advantages of Eberspacher is that most of it is under the van. The main criticism of this product is the noise, hopefully with it being located outside it will make it quiet to run. I like the idea that it runs off the diesel, but that is one of my main concerns also. How to fit the fuel line into the tank. The sprinter has an auxiliary tap fitted to the fuel tank, I have a Peugeot Boxer, and I hope someone can tell me if it has such a tap? Any comments about this system would be welcome, I have to make a decision in the next few days between it and the Truma. Any advice is welcome.

Sandbagsid

One thing to remember they advise you to run the heater regularly stops the diesel going of and causing problems. Mine has a sticker saying run it at least once a week.

Littleoldman

Sandbagsid, thanks, with the weather we have that won’t be difficult. Do you have this system in your van

Littleoldman

Sandbagsid, thanks for posting. There’s a brilliant series on the Chinese copies of the Eberspacher by a man called John McK 47. There’s loads of them but he covers all aspects of these units. He deals with servicing and dismantling the units. Well worth viewing. I haven’t got to the end yet.

Sandbagsid

I did watch one last year about the Chinese copies, an American RV owner bought one he was quite impressed with it. I also saw one on ytube it caught fire luckily the guy had it on an outside work bench, I guess ya pays ya money and hopefully all is well.

Littleoldman

I’m looking to fit it under the van, Eberspacher’s own brand can be fitted outside but I don’t know about the others. Once I have watched all the series by John McK 47 if this is not brought up, I will contact him.

Littleoldman

Contacted John McK 47 earlier and he confirmed that you can fit these under the van but give them some protection. I will do that and I'm going to fit a webasto water heater again under the van.

Gary Wrench

Just reading through this and the original poster mentions the Hydronic system which is a diesel fired water heating system usually used with a calorifier for water storage heating and an air matrix similar to a cars interior heater matrix for blown air heating. Further posts mention just blown air diesel heaters ... which obviously don’t give hot water. Just checking does the OP want a combined air and water heater or just blown air heating ?

Littleoldman

Gary, yes originally I was looking for a combined system run on diesel. I saw a system at the NEC show and I was very impressed with it particularly because it was mainly fitted under the van. I was less impressed with the £2100 price. Since this posting I have been directed by another forum member to an offer of a Truma 6e for £1250 which is a bargain. So I bought one on the weekend. I had already fitted a Gasit tank under the van so I chose the Truma. But the next van (a dream) will be diesel. Thanks.

Gary Wrench

Gary, yes originally I was looking for a combined system run on diesel. I saw a system at the NEC show and I was very impressed with it particularly because it was mainly fitted under the van. I was less impressed with the £2100 price. Since this posting I have been directed by another forum member to an offer of a Truma 6e for £1250 which is a bargain. So I bought one on the weekend. I had already fitted a Gasit tank under the van so I chose the Truma. But the next van (a dream) will be diesel. Thanks.
I have the Truma, only problem I had was the wiring instructions! Something like ‘if 12v cable length less than 3m use 2mm cable’.... must be joking, needs 4mm. Fitted it in a heatwave so couldn’t test the heating, never worked on a three week trip round North Coast 500. Bit chilly... ! Worth remembering that it runs off 12v for everything except the 240 is used for heating and water heating or gas is used , fan and control is all 12v. Use 4mm if within 3m and go up to 6mm if further away. If it doesn’t work when you install it then there is a reset button near the 12v power in. Does take a while to bleed gas through though. Remember to put the ambient air temp sensor in a sensible place well away from any blown air vents, mines too low and even though it’s not near a blown air vent is does affect it, on my list to move it to top lockers.

Littleoldman

Thanks Gary, I need all the help I can get. I will remember the 4mm cable. I really like heat so will place the air temp monitor ‘outside‘.

Gary Wrench

I wanted the Truma Combi 6D running on diesel but just couldn’t get my hands on one at a decent price , another grand dearer than the gas version :(