The Red Beast

time4t

Well the outside looks great!!

Now all us nosy bugrs want to see the inside:):).

Phill.

Mind you I'm a fine one to talk, I've not tried to load any pics yet, But then again everything is on the back burner at the mo, due to mine & my father in laws ill health!

BigStevie

Righty ho chaps,

I'll get some pics of the interior..... But (isn't there always a but?), First I'll have to move all the boxes or cra.. er, I mean all parts and bits and pieces for the remaining build. Give me a week folks!

Stevie

BigStevie

My last post on this thread was in Feb and it's still winter here, pishing down and chilly, so no further progress yet folks. Will get back in to the build as soon as the weather breaks, I don't do messing around in the cold and wet.
I've had an issue with a leaking skylight, the first of three. It's a 280x280 Fiamma fitted on a ribbed part of the roof. I carefully bonded it in place and 'filled' the open ribs with some very dense foam cut perfectly to size. Great I thought. Well, the foam has reacted with the sikoflex and basically become unbonded.
I've a pal who works at a metal fabricators, so I've asked him to make me three 'L' section rims to fit inside the cut hole. I'll both spot weld and bond them in place, the b*****s won't leak then! A bit of old fashioned engineering.
My next headache is lining the bathroom. I bought a shower tray and built it in to a box and filled the gaps with foam to prevent cracking. So, now need to fit the tray unit, ply the walls and line with cushion floor or similar. One of those tasks I haven't been looking forward to, too easy to make a mess of it!

Anyway, once the freezing monsoon season is over here in the Highlands, I'll get some work done and photos taken.

Stevie

time4t

My last post on this thread was in Feb and it's still winter here, pishing down and chilly, so no further progress yet folks. Will get back in to the build as soon as the weather breaks, I don't do messing around in the cold and wet.
I've had an issue with a leaking skylight, the first of three. It's a 280x280 Fiamma fitted on a ribbed part of the roof. I carefully bonded it in place and 'filled' the open ribs with some very dense foam cut perfectly to size. Great I thought. Well, the foam has reacted with the sikoflex and basically become unbonded.
I've a pal who works at a metal fabricators, so I've asked him to make me three 'L' section rims to fit inside the cut hole. I'll both spot weld and bond them in place, the b*****s won't leak then! A bit of old fashioned engineering.
My next headache is lining the bathroom. I bought a shower tray and built it in to a box and filled the gaps with foam to prevent cracking. So, now need to fit the tray unit, ply the walls and line with cushion floor or similar. One of those tasks I haven't been looking forward to, too easy to make a mess of it!

Anyway, once the freezing monsoon season is over here in the Highlands, I'll get some work done and photos taken.

Stevie
Yeh Stevie, I know what you mean. Been cold here but have had some serious health issues & my cars to delay my progress, we've had some good weather so I can't really moan.
Am looking forward to some warmer weather but don't like it to hot!

Phill

BigStevie

The weather forecast says there's going to be a frost here Tuesday morning... Its midsummer in four weeks!!!

BigStevie

The weather remains, well, crap at best. Assuming that at some point it will be dry and warm I've started making plans to get going again.
I fitted a 280mm Fiamma roof vent last year and it didn't go well, the bond reacted with the foam packing and let the liquid sunshine in. As I intend fitting three of these vents, I asked a pal to knock me up some steel frames that'll be fitted from the inside attached with a combination of body bond and spot welds. The spot weld are a bit over the top, but am old fashioned... Here's the frames:
ventframes 001.jpg ventframes 002.jpg

Just need a couple of dry days now....

time4t

The weather remains, well, crap at best. Assuming that at some point it will be dry and warm I've started making plans to get going again.
I fitted a 280mm Fiamma roof vent last year and it didn't go well, the bond reacted with the foam packing and let the liquid sunshine in. As I intend fitting three of these vents, I asked a pal to knock me up some steel frames that'll be fitted from the inside attached with a combination of body bond and spot welds. The spot weld are a bit over the top, but am old fashioned... Here's the frames:
View attachment 5296 View attachment 5297

Just need a couple of dry days now....
Mind you don't distort your roof with strong frames like those.

I bedded my skylight on with white sika EBT, I filled the corrugations with neoprene rubber strip then screwed the whole thing into the wood frame inside with 12 s/s round headers. no leaks yet.

I used clear CT1 to reseal my windows but 18 months later it had crystallised so had to scrape it out then clean with, damn I can't remember but might have been panel wipe or acetone.

sealed them with tiger seal.

To my knowledge all clear sealants degrade when used out side!

Phill

BigStevie

Hi Phil, The steel frames are fairly light weight and even with the fold there's a little bit of flex. The roof is so near flat (besides the ribbing!) that I think it'll be okay.
I used some panel adhesive to stick wheel arch protectors on my Duster (yes, I know, it's a Dacia...) and talk about well bonded. Just went to look for the remains of the tube to see what it was, but can't find it (I too can't remember!). But will use that or similar panel bond along with a few spot welds. I have a mains spot welder I bought years ago when I was restoring VW T2 campers, made fitting sills and the like a doddle.
I'll seal everything up with sika once they're in place and hope for the best!
Two of the three vents are the Fiammas with a fan, one over the kitchen and one in the bathroom. After consultation with SWMBO I think we'll not bother with the third vent in the bedroom as we've got opening Seitz windows and it saves me a job!
Once the weather gods decide to give us some dry days I'll get cracking and put some photos up.

Stevie

time4t

Tis dry, tis dry, tis dry in Fife today, oh joy, BUT,,, I have to visit my F I L, that's 3 hrs gone, then pick up my wife to go shopping, 2 hrs, then finish the solid waney edged elm shelf for my wives office, 1.1/2 hrs, now i'm taking the steering column out of my beemer because the stupid arse designers, thought they'd build a counter into the lock which trips the red steering wheel on the dash, after a certain number of starts.

Also trying to expand an exhaust pipe to fit over another.

Hey hoo, It'll all get done in the end:)

Phill

BigStevie

Tis dry, tis dry, tis dry in Fife today, oh joy, BUT,,, I have to visit my F I L, that's 3 hrs gone, then pick up my wife to go shopping, 2 hrs, then finish the solid waney edged elm shelf for my wives office, 1.1/2 hrs, now i'm taking the steering column out of my beemer because the stupid arse designers, thought they'd build a counter into the lock which trips the red steering wheel on the dash, after a certain number of starts.

Also trying to expand an exhaust pipe to fit over another.

Hey hoo, It'll all get done in the end:)

Phill

The afore mentioned Duster was a step to a new world. I decided that rolling around on my back in the yard fixing cars in dog s**t was going to end. My trusty old 'I refuse to die or use oil even at 200k' Octavia got given away and I went to buy a new motor. As my last old 4wd had also gone off to the dealership in the sky recently, I thought I'd try and have one motor to cover all needs. I have to say that this chirpy car has done everything I've asked of it and is a proper little off roader. Five years warranty, fifty something to the gallon, I'm loving it! The badge, I don't give a monkeys...

Stevie

roadliner

I agree with your thinking Stevie. I am doing a LDV Maxus conversion the most under rated van IMO. Bought it off a friend ( alandscape gardener) who had 4 of them. it was his personal van Molicoddeld to death. Went to main dealer for everything. It is quick,very economical cheap parts,,every extra air con,alloy wheels etc. and in a nice metallic grey and totally rust free. As for badge ,I don't give a monkeys... either.

Last edited:

time4t

Actually, I don't care what badge I drive behind either.
But, I've spent the last 20 odd years driving front wheel drive vehicles & personally I don't like them.
I had to scrap my 2004 avensis because the subframe rotted through after 207k & my 1998 sharran has a ruined drivers door various brake & turbo problems, so as I don't live on a bus route, I need 2 cars, I had to buy a couple quick.
I hate DPF's, but love rear drive so I bought a dec 2006 merc c class 220 cdi & a may 2007 bmw 320d.

Both cars were made 3 or 4 months before DPF's were fitted & before the facelifted versions hit the dealer, best time to get a car!
They are easier to maintain than front drives & far more fun in the snow & ice!!
The merc does about 48 mpg & the beemer about 52, which is near the same as the toyota & the vw.

Phill

Ps., let's get back on the track of the red beastie!

Last edited:

BigStevie

With the spectre of doing the bathroom looming, I was intending using vinyl cushion floor covering for the walls as had been suggested some time ago. So, any tips on getting it right? What's the best bond?
It'll be a ply lined 'room', the shower tray will take up most of the floor space. Any tips or ideas willingly received!

time4t

I used cushion floor on my kitchen wall to stop my bernese mountain dogs tail splattering mud all over the paint.
It needed some support while the glue dried/cured but was still there years later when I sold the house.
I used dow corning sealant spread with a tile adhesive trowel.

sealing the joins might be difficult, might be an idea to fix some 25mm x 25mm x by 1mm ally angle on the base so the vinyl laps over it & the same stuff in the corners on top of the vinyl.

Phill