The interior plan...

BigStevie

Once I got cracking on starting the interior late last summer I was armed with most of the base construction stuff, timber, insulation and a PLAN.
The layout is more or less as per plan, what changed was the type of finish we were wanting. The original idea was to cover flat wall/ceiling surfaces with good old four way stretch carpet glued to removable pieces of ply.
I bumped in to a bloke from a nearby village who was just finishing a fairly basic conversion on an old Merc. What stood out to me was his use of thin T&G cladding for lining, okay I didn't quite like the varnished finish, but did like the flexibility it gave for construction. Now, some might recall that me and money are not easily parted and that building the van on a budget was part of the plot. After checking some prices I bought a pile of thin T&G cladding for little money and soon realised that it was not just going to be somewhat easier on the build front, but much to my delight, cheaper than the original idea...
Now, bring in SWMBO. She was well in to the cladding concept and then suggested that I use my artistic(!) eye to come up with something 'special'. I'm not a lover of grey and more grey with a touch of grey. The base background colour is a light matt cream then with areas of brighter colour to keep heart and soul happy. SWMBO bought some fabric for the seating area which just perpetuated the theme.
Anyway, I'm missing my original point here. The fact is that after lots (and lots and lots) of late night planning, we made a major change before day one of the interior.
Also, I'd planned having both the 2x200w solar panels mounted on the roof over the back axle in addition to the 70litre Fiamma water tank and two big deep cycle batteries mounted the floor, you guessed it, over the back axle. This knocked the balance of the van badly. So, left the water tank in the back, but moved the batteries and solar to the front. It worked a treat.
So, the make it up as you go along approach has somehow worked. Once I've cleared all the boxes out of their winter storage in the van, I'll get some pics loaded up. To give you a taste of things to come, here's the seat fabric.... at least I'll be able to drop an egg and bacon buttie on it without reproach. 6thfeb.jpg

What do you think folks?

Stevie

Liberty hall

Stevie sounds like it’s going to be cosy with those colours, I wanted to use tartan though was over ruled, the reds in the material will pick up on the colour of your van. So looking forward to seeing what your artistic eye brings

misterg

What do you think folks?
I like it! ...but then I would.

These are some of the fabrics we looked at:

IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3612.JPG

and... SNAP!

IMG_3611.JPG

But this is what I ended up using for our rear bulkhead:

DSC08485-2.jpg

DSC08484-2.jpg

I'd bought grey Veltrim carpet to do it all, but as soon as I started sticking it on, I thought "Nah.... not right..." so I used the Veltrim as a lining and glued a brown hessian type material over most of it with the print as a "feature wall" at the end of the van. May not be to everyone's taste, but I like it a lot.

Roadrunner

Do my eyes in that,but to each there own,keep building and more picys.

Darcar

Humm not my taste... but that’s the best thing about self building you can have anything you want.....
nothings wrong or right....

BigStevie

I have to say misterg, that looks great to me! I've built a number of campers on VWs over the years, always going with the convention of the time... As The Red Beast will be my last conversion, the more I'm in the frame of mind to just go for something, well, interesting.
I might add that SWMBO has asked for the stick on bunting you can get from hippymotors, this to go around the top of the body sides on the rear half of the van. It'll make it easy to find in a car park (as if a bright red high roof xlwb Sprinter was difficult to spot!) and most importantly keep my cockney other half happy. I believe that she's listed somewhere in Jane's Book Of Fighting Women....

Stevie

Roadrunner

When building a van build it for someone else because you may want to sell it down the line.

Liberty hall

Beep beep
I agree in a way!! Though when we build it we build it because there’s nothing out there that grabs us! Or the price tag!!
We built Muttley thinking of one day we may want to sell. However even if we did sell you could bet your bottom dollar there’d be someone not like it!!
So if you want a wood burner bunk beds gerrish colours etc then go for it.I’m sure when you come to sell they’ll be someone that likes it!!
That’s the beauty of a self build we all put our own stamp on things
Ken

BigStevie

Given my advancing years I think this will be the last build. The idea with this van was to make a 'selfish' user, a van that we both wanted, hence fitted king size bed etc. As to it's selling on value, I don't really care. I'm sure one of the kids would love to own it at some point. Also, it's not like I've got a fortune tied up in the beast..... the main thing at this point is to get the bugger finished and pointed towards some nice destinations!!!

Stevie

I like the African themed fabric, but I think a place for a drop of nice tartan could be found, I mean what heretic doesn't like tartan anyway.