Reputable Remanufactured Engine Supplier?

Wissel

After doing a bit of thinking I've decided to get our van back on the road - so am in need of a remanufactured engine.

Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier?

tacr2man

I would be more inclined to go for a low mileage take out , one that can be heard running preferably , what vehicle are you running ? A good engine rebuilding company is http://www.fjpayne.com/ been around for years and have used them for various jobs in that time . Might even work out financial sense to buy and break a whole running vehicle , selling the bits you dont want to keep as spares ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Boxer-2-2HDi-120-335-MWB-2007-White-115000-miles-MOT-Clean-Van/183627109066?hash=item2ac10752ca:g:JYkAAOSwEHhcNQrx

Last edited:

Wissel

Vehicle is a 2010 Boxer 120bhp.

I was originally looking at getting an engine that could be heard running, or a refurbished engine. Both would be considerably cheaper. Then I read about remanufactured engines. If they are done right then all the wearable parts have been replaced, the head skimmed, new pistons, rods, etc, etc. I've read they are the next best thing to a brand new engine. At a price.

I like the idea of this - as long as I'm getting what I'm paying for, with a proper guarantee.

Most of my van is in pretty good condition. If I could get a great engine and it was likely to last me quite a few years, I'd re-spray the whole van and keep it for a while (paint has the Sevel paint issue of peeling)

tacr2man

With what you are looking at for a good rebuilt engine and fitting , you might as well put the money towards a newer van with higher euro rating , and strip your old van and sell what you dont want to keep as spares , and weigh it in .
Putting a new engine into your existing van makes it an expensive older van . JMHO

Roadrunner

As above,get a right of van and swap engines,dont wast money on a recon unit,total madness,im over 40 years in the game.

Wissel

After listening to advice here and elsewhere, plus getting firm quotes, a remanufactured engine might not be the best solution.

So I'm leaning towards buying a low mileage 2015ish L3H2, spraying it (can do that myself) and converting it with the parts I have (I have a lot :)).

I'd love to buy a new L4 van, but don't have the funds for it at the moment and don't want to be waiting months. Hopefully we will get a great van this time and be back on our travels later this year :cool:

Gary Wrench

I have a 2007 Relay with 64k on clock with electrical fault.. thinking of selling it spares or repairs.. engines mint , just won’t start. Can’t be arsed to get it fixed so bought another - was due for replacement anyway (works vehicle) any use ? Obviously gives you a spare gearbox.. alternator .. starter motor .. and so on... we’ve had it about 8 years and done 7k a year ish in it, serviced every 12 months when MOT time. it’s in Cheshire

Last edited:

Wissel

Thanks for the offer Gary - be very tempted if I knew a little more about mechanics :rolleyes:

The trouble is, it would have cost me around £900 just to have a new engine fitted. Taking one out of another vehicle would make this figure considerably higher I fear.

As we all know, it takes a lot of time and effort to build a good motorhome. I think it makes sense to use the best/newest vehicle I can afford before putting the effort and the parts I have already in.

Did give me something to think about overnight though :openedeyewink:

How are your builds going? I'm finishing anothers van atm which is fun. Actually the Solway panels turned up here yesterday to fit - quite looking forward to fitting these today:

IMG_20190430_140927.jpg
IMG_20190502_161224.jpgIMG_20190227_163226.jpg

Thanks again,

David

Gary Wrench

No problem David, that ones looking well :)
Blue one finished ish... in use now , silver one half done, tanks in tomorrow, big gold family van tanks arrived and in over weekend . Really need to get the silver one done and sold to stick some cash back in the bank haha

Livotlout

Do like the power 5way fuse holder David......do you have a supplier ?
ps: Best of luck with your Engine Woes.

Alec.