Renault Master minibus - interior fixing

sas

Hi all. I have finally found a van to convert into a (fairly basic) camper - a 2004 lwb Master minibus. We're having a big fixed bed at the back with storage underneath, a toilet/wash room behind the driver's seat, kitchen area by the sliding side door... a typical layout really.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that the whole of the interior is completely covered so I can't see where any of the structural ribs are to fix to, and I don't really want to remove it all if I don't have to. The floor is easy because there are already bolt holes where the seats attached so that will give most of the strength, but I still need to fix timbers to the ceiling and to the ribs each side of the front/side window.

Does anyone have any build photos that show where the structural bits are?

Simon.

Attachments

It looks as though the windows were fitted after the trim panels were fitted . Its a job to see from pics . One way you could try is with a magnet to try and map out where the ribs are ?

sas

It looks as though the windows were fitted after the trim panels were fitted . Its a job to see from pics . One way you could try is with a magnet to try and map out where the ribs are ?
Thanks for the idea. There must be ribs between and beside the windows but they probably have some holes in them here and there already, and maybe even wiring inside them, so I think a picture will be necessary. Either that or I'll just have to remove some trim.
I think I'll be able to peer at the roof if I take down the light so that'll help!
Bed frame is in place and the base for the toilet/washroom. Exciting!

Dunslow

Hi Simon, I currently have a stripped interior lwb master that i can take some photos of/ areas required, and perhaps some measurements to/ from a known datum? I dont know how soon you need them? and Ive no idea how to post photos up. Oh, and hello everyone, Ive just joined up with plans of doing a.......guess ;-)

sas

Dunslow, that's brilliant, thank you! I'll take some photos of the relevant areas and sort out some reference points after work tomorrow and post them here. Hopefully if you can take photos of the same bits I'll be able to work out what's hiding behind all the trim.

Dunslow

No problem (I hope), I've earmarked a few hours over the weekend to ripping more of it apart:rolleyes:

sas

I've taken some pictures of the roof area above the toilet/washroom. There are two rows of studs either side of the ceiling light that are holding up the roof lining so they must go into a rib, but forward of the front-most row I can't feel another rib. If your van is the same size as mine I imagine the structure will be the same even if yours isn't a minibus. Maybe!

Attachments

Dunslow

I will get to it over the next couple of days Si. Busy until 3 tomorrow so sometime asap after that.

sas

Many thanks, there's no rush as I've plenty to do.

Dunslow

Hi Simon, here goes:confused:. There are no ribs side to side in front of where your fixings are, but would be easy for a rib to have been inserted in between those two fr 2 rear ribs? I am happy to give any more photos as required. I'll probably post up what I've done so far, as it's a 1998 LWB, and I have had several and know their faults and knew what I wanted / was taking on with this one:tiredface::perservingface::cryingface:

Attachments

sas

Excellent, thank you, that's very helpful.
Today was taken up with making beds and seats so now I can concentrate on building the loo!

Dunslow

I'm going to be a year behind you, so anything retrospective you need, let me know. I've just done my intro with a bit more on my Master.
Simon.

hi everyone first time I have been on .any one got pics of a master van done only doing one now myself just looking for some designs thanks

VanNV

hi everyone first time I have been on .any one got pics of a master van done only doing one now myself just looking for some designs thanks
Hi @david - mine is an NV400 which is really a Master (even the instructions in the engine bay are in French...)

I created my layout for space - philosophy being that I will spend most of my time in the van enjoying the space, and only a couple of minutes a day regretting the lack of a permanent bed. I also left enough floor space so if I am away with a mate, there is room on the floor for an inflatable mattress.

I have still managed to create a decent sized bog, kitchen, and hanging space, but it all feels nice and roomy when hanging out in the van. Cupboards etc are all standard ply - mostly just 5mm built on frames for strength and weight/cost saving. A few strategic LED downlighters make it kinda cosy. Doors are louvred doors from B and Q, high level cupboard doors are just ply with a bit of trim. Flooring is laminate.

1560774607984.png

1560774660780.png

1560774696913.png