Rear Seats

Littleoldman

Hi all, on Sunday we drove to Reading Services where I me a guy called Mo. He sells van seats on ebay. I bought a lovely pair of Captain's seats with swivels from him and have just fitted them. They look great. The existing passenger seats for the van are the joined pair type. I would like to use them as seating in the back of the van behind the cab. I will bolt them down to the metal and get an engineer mate to build what's needed to bolt them securely. Only one of the seats has a belt (the middle one). I only need that one for our grandson.There will never be more than 3 of us travelling at any one time. Will this be an MOT fail because one seat has no belt? I have bought a transit seat that I can use it has a built in seat belt but it's seriously ugly. If someone has done this before can they let me know. Or if someone has added a second belt to the twin seats I'd be interested to hear how it's done. Thanks all

Sandbagsid

Have ya got contact details for mo I’m looking for a single passenger seat with seat belt. Thanks little john.

BigStevie

Yes, seat with no belt, MOT fail. Depending on the tester, the seat mounting might be a fail too. There are plenty of seats out there with belts from mini buses/buses etc. I’d be tempted to make it look as ‘right’ as possible, a missing belt would draw attention...

Littleoldman

Gave up on that idea. Bought 2 single seats with belts on Marketplace. One is on runners the other’s fixed. They look ok. Sandbagsid will pm you Mo’s details. BigStevie didn’t get them for free but not expensive.

Roadrunner

There are specific plate sizes to under pin the seats,all seats must face forward or back,no side seats insurable or allowed these days.
A single or 3 point belt is ok as long as no body part can strike dash ,windsheild,or seat in front,swivel seats must lock forward or back,been there had the ticket.

Attachments

Littleoldman

That's great info Roadrunner. And thanks for the photos. I'm raising the floor level to cab level so that the driver/passenger swivel seats are on the same level as the rear travel seat. I think I'll take numerous photos of the construction and keep them for the MOT and the reclassifying as a camper van. Did you do this yourself. So far other than doing the windows I have do all the build, but I don't have metalworking tools so I might get the frame work built by someone.