Options for a stealth van over 3.5t

dragonfly

I have for a while, been toying with doing a build of a stealth camper in a build of a vehicle 3.5-7.5t I have driven these vehicles for work, and I'm old enough to have a license that covers me from the start. However, I really don't want to be involved in operators licenses, tachographs etc.

However I reckon the latest DVLA regs, make doing a stealth van pretty much impossible, namely 2 side windows, and a permanent awning rail. Without doing silly things like fake windows, and siliconing an awning rail in place lol what are my options?? Do I have any??

dragonfly

Google has suggested, that anything below 7.5t can be driven without operators license and tacho, while taxing it as a private goods vehicle. That means that I can still build a stealth camper, but it will be a goods vehicle as far as the powers that be are concerned. Can anyone confirm this?

dragonfly

I got a couple of quotes for the insurance on a few random vans off ebay, and they weren't too bad. Is the problem with camp sites a UK thing, or is it a Euro thing?? Is it based on the weight, or because it doesn't comply with windows etc.?? How do campsites police it, do they refuse bookings, or turn you away when you arrive, and you don't fit the mould??

Roadrunner

I got a couple of quotes for the insurance on a few random vans off ebay, and they weren't too bad. Is the problem with camp sites a UK thing, or is it a Euro thing?? Is it based on the weight, or because it doesn't comply with windows etc.?? How do campsites police it, do they refuse bookings, or turn you away when you arrive, and you don't fit the mould??
I think its a dont fit the mould thing and they are looking for factory £100.000 type of folk if you know what im mean,i would have trouble im sure in mine if i tried,not that i would.

tacr2man

With sites its also more to do with interior compliance , they want proper EHU with RCD , and pretty much the same things as the old DVLA motorcaravan spec.
PHGV doesn't require anything regarding Op licence , tacho , etc .
If its internally compliant as a motorcaravan but doesn't meet all the outward new rules , and therefore doesn't get the logbook amended by DVLA , it can still be "used" and mot'ed as a motorcaravan (Class 4) . The only thing you have to be wary of , is the carrying goods not needed essentially for its use as a motorcaravan , because if you do that you become a "living van" which requires a plate (VTG 6) and testing as a lgv . by DVSA at an ATF . . Hope that clarifies it a bit .

dragonfly

Yeah, like most things DVLA Clear as Mud LOL

If I have a tacho exemption form for private use, what difference does "using" and MOT as a motorcaravan make, compared to using it as a motorcaravan and moting it as a Private Goods Vehicle?

tacr2man

If its MOTd as goods vehicle (living van) , a lot more expensive as you have to pay lane fee and test fee for goods vehicle. If complies with motorcaravan , but not accepted by DVLA then DVLA say it can still be used as such , and therefore MOT as class 4 (car) . Road tax is still phgv in either case . Its a right cock up legislatively , but large motorhomes legislation has been for years .

Roadrunner

Lucky you are on mainland,here in the north it will be tested as in log book,motorcaravan or PHGV which is much harder and costs more,im lucky mine is m/caravan and no bother just same as car.