O heck what have I let myself get caught up in!

Littleoldman

Hi all, I have the roaming bug. I have had it since a child, up until 2016 I did it on a motorcycle trike then for various reasons had to give that up. Been on the trike to many southern European countries and loved it. At 68 (69 in July) I need something a bit more comfortable and dry to do my travelling in these days. I'm an retired arts and crafts teacher and have taught woodwork so I have some skills I can use to convert a van. Some areas I will need advice with but I luckily have good friends one of which is an auto electrician and another who's a great plumber. I hopefully won't encounter any insurmountable problems ( I bet I will). During my working life we self built 4 times with me doing a lot of second fix woodwork, first fix wiring out and plumbing. but my wife has stopped me from doing it again! And this is my next house project but on wheels this time! I'm really looking forward to it, and hope to get it done within a year. I already have a question on insurance and will ask that in the appropriate section. Hope to become friends with many of you in the future. And thanks for letting me become a member. I'm in South West Wales near Llanelli.

tacr2man

Hi-smiley.png Welcome , the more the merrier , plenty of folks willing to offer advice if you need it !

misterg

North Wales was the land of the Gogs when I was young.
Me too! :D I’m a foreigner in these parts - grew up on the Pembs / Cardiganshire border.

I’m pleased to report that they have electricity and running water up here these days, and some people have even moved out of the caves! ;)

BigStevie

Welcome, there's a lot of knowledge here and willingness to help. With your skills you'll have no problem. Now, making a plan....... (the hardest bit!).

Stevie

BigStevie

Work out how much space you need and what your budget is. I'm doing a 'cheap' van, it cost me £2.5k, finished it'll have cost £7k+. Because i wanted the space, I ended up with a XLWB high roof Sprinter, got a fitted king size bed!

Littleoldman

My wife will be a driver and she wants a small van so we’re looking at a mwb maybe a transit or preferably a sprinter. I don’t want to pay more than £5 k.

BigStevie

Are you looking at £5k all in, or just for the base van? To some extent the build cost is down to what 'goodies' you fit. I've seen some great vans built for buttons, it's all doable! Things like windows are expensive to buy new, always worth looking around for second hand items.
Do lots of research and get a plan drawn up. Once you've got the van, you won't be able to stop yourself getting cracking!

Stevie

Littleoldman

Base van. I have to do a professional looking interior my wife is the charge hand. Can’t wait to get a van, but my mechanic pal is going to Bulgaria for a week on Monday so I have another 2 weeks or so before I can seriously look. I’m not going to rush ( bull s***) I would like to get cabling and insulation, van floor and first job rear camera before the autumn. Been watching a few videos (understatement) on YouTube and I do like the sleek look of the Morland lightweight boards but have to get a budget sorted. What I would like is a van that if we need to sell for any reason it will look a good job. I’m not thinking of making a profit but don’t want a loss.

Littleoldman

Base van. I have to do a professional looking interior my wife is the charge hand. Can’t wait to get a van, but my mechanic pal is going to Bulgaria for a week on Monday so I have another 2 weeks or so before I can seriously look. I’m not going to rush ( bull s***) I would like to get cabling and insulation, van floor and first job rear camera before the autumn. Been watching a few videos (understatement) on YouTube and I do like the sleek look of the Morland lightweight boards but have to get a budget sorted. What I would like is a van that if we need to sell for any reason it will look a good job. I’m not thinking of making a profit but don’t want a loss.

RELIANTSCIMITAR

Hi there. I find that the biggest failing of people building a camper to be planning and building a camper that suits your needs. The first conversation I have with my customers is not about campers, its about their lifestyle and expectations as only then can you decide what the spec should be. Planning is all about doing the jobs in the right order and considering the best methods of build as it will pay dividends in the end. Any well built and reasonably well designed camper should be cost neutral over 2-3 years and probably return an overall profit.

Cheers - mike

Littleoldman

mike, thanks for that advice. My experience in self building has shown that, the first bungalow had little of what we as a family wanted, more like other bungalows. Second was more to what we wanted as by then our kids were early teens, 3rd house had to build what had been given approval, and our kids were grown up. Sold that pretty much straight away. This bungalow was built exactly as we wanted. We've been here 10 years and it does really work for the most part. I'm used to having a big area to work with, shoehorning into a small area will be more of a challenge, and as we haven't got the van yet can't even do a mock up drawing. Cheers

allank

Hi all, I have the roaming bug. I have had it since a child, up until 2016 I did it on a motorcycle trike then for various reasons had to give that up. Been on the trike to many southern European countries and loved it. At 68 (69 in July) I need something a bit more comfortable and dry to do my travelling in these days. I'm an retired arts and crafts teacher and have taught woodwork so I have some skills I can use to convert a van. Some areas I will need advice with but I luckily have good friends one of which is an auto electrician and another who's a great plumber. I hopefully won't encounter any insurmountable problems ( I bet I will). During my working life we self built 4 times with me doing a lot of second fix woodwork, first fix wiring out and plumbing. but my wife has stopped me from doing it again! And this is my next house project but on wheels this time! I'm really looking forward to it, and hope to get it done within a year. I already have a question on insurance and will ask that in the appropriate section. Hope to become friends with many of you in the future. And thanks for letting me become a member. I'm in South West Wales near Llanelli.
Hello
I did a conversion of a Sprinter minibus and I have made a large album of photos on Google that you might find interesting. I cant seem to attach the link here so if you email me on allankennedy@talktalk.net I will send it to you.
Allan

Littleoldman

Thank you for that. It's a sprinter that I'm looking at as the base van. Your photos will be of great help to me. Cheers.