Newbie from Stoke

jjturner

So I the beds got completed, including adding bed slats.

And with the removable centre slats, the size is equivalent to an super king size but slightly shorter. Each seat is a small single bed so we can have a kip in the daytime without making a bed up.

Then I started the shelving units, these took quite a while to make so I got the sizes right.

And mounted them

Then installed the rear garage wall. Massive pain to install as with the cupboards installed so had to remove the rear part of the bed which luckily I've designed to be removable. At some point I might modify the rear panel to make it easier. The bottom part is 15mm ply as its the back of the seats, the top is faced 3mm ply with a frame to save a bit of weight.

Bottom of the garage storage.

Internal view

I built the kitchen but had the wrong corners so ordered some more and used cut offs to fix it temporarily

I then installed the spacers for the floor. I'm going to replace the sections of 89x68 I've used to reduce weight in the near future. And then installed the false floor.

Finished at 8pm on Sunday.

Off to get upholstered on Tuesday, hence the rush.

Also started on the electrical board which is going at the back of the cupboard.

Ducto

So I the beds got completed, including adding bed slats.

And with the removable centre slats, the size is equivalent to an super king size but slightly shorter. Each seat is a small single bed so we can have a kip in the daytime without making a bed up.

Then I started the shelving units, these took quite a while to make so I got the sizes right.

And mounted them

Then installed the rear garage wall. Massive pain to install as with the cupboards installed so had to remove the rear part of the bed which luckily I've designed to be removable. At some point I might modify the rear panel to make it easier. The bottom part is 15mm ply as its the back of the seats, the top is faced 3mm ply with a frame to save a bit of weight.

Bottom of the garage storage.

Internal view

I built the kitchen but had the wrong corners so ordered some more and used cut offs to fix it temporarily

I then installed the spacers for the floor. I'm going to replace the sections of 89x68 I've used to reduce weight in the near future. And then installed the false floor.

Finished at 8pm on Sunday.

Off to get upholstered on Tuesday, hence the rush.

Also started on the electrical board which is going at the back of the cupboard.
You've certainly taken some care in there. Coming along very nicely for you.

D

Deleted member

Brilliant, that looks like a fantastic build. Super job. Geoff.

jjturner

Long day on Sunday sorting out electrics.
The CBE PC200 I have has pretty terrible instructions for installing. I made far more than 1 mistake, but seemed to get there in the end or at least as far as I wanted to.
Installed the electrical board.

And cabled it all up after rearranging components many times, especially as I discovered the kit has mains distribution sockets which it didn't mention. I can now return the consumer unit I bought.
It has separate fuses and isolation switches for each battery bank and an external fuse box not controlled by the PC200 for equipment I need to use whilst driving or require a graceful shutdown like heaters.

Made up the battery leads.

And installed the battery clamps and batteries.

Currently have 200Ah with space for another 100Ah if needed. Our first trip has mains hookup and should have solar panels for the next, so hopefully we ill be ok.

Tested the mains feed which worked fine after a while including trip switches.
Rest of Sunday was spent wiring in sockets and switches as some are hidden by the fridge. Will add pictures later. Also installed the water pump and feed from the tank through the floor.
Finally installed the fridge which worked so left it on to cool down for the weekend.
Overnight the alarm went off so I assume the current alarm doesn't like the air movement so might have to replace that at some point.

JayKay

Looks fantastic well done!

What colour are your furniture boards and carpet, and where from? Nice combination.

jjturner

Nice job so far keep it up & don't rush it!

Phill
Trying not to rush, using it for posh camping this weekend at Goodwood, hence a bit of focus but will have a bit of a break and go back to normal speed after tonight. I know where I've cut a couple of corners that I'll revisit, but use the weekend away as a snagging trip.

D

Deleted member

That's looking really nice. Very impressed with your electrics. Geoff.

jjturner

First break away in the van at Goodwood Festival of Speed. Full service campsite with electric hookup, so I needed to get the van to a basic position to use it, so no hot water or bathroom yet.

Everything worked ok, even found a new position for the microwave above the fridge. Only real problem was I had to nip out and forgot to move the microwave which flew out at a roundabout. Oops

Bed was very comfortable and massive, had to get a super king duvet cover to use as a bed sheet.

Found a few niggles to put on the snagging list, main concern was would it be too hot and it was fine.

Very happy with it and the wife loves it also.

time4t

Well done, nice work mate , might see you on the road when I eventually get mine done!

Phill

D

Deleted member 2

Apart from everything else with regards to your build which is right out of the top draw, I love the garage as it is so nice to see someone who thinks about storage space.

Phil

jjturner

So bit of a random list of updates and not the greatest / lack of photo's, sorry.

Anne bought me a new headunit for the van for my birthday. Latest version of Android, faster processor etc, but the main thing was the old one had a known issue of no bass and fitted in a van which dulls bass, was not a good thing. So installed it and also bought some JBL speakers to replace the door speakers and tweaters with its own cross overs, so installed new speaker cables.
This was a nightmare as there isn't straight wire runs so probably used twice as much cable as a straight run.
Once installed it sounded much better.
I also installed a front facing camera to make parking up a bit easier and only £10 which just plugged into the head unit. This has to be a dedicated front facing camera as reversing cameras flip the image.

Works well (pic to follow), but putting on whilst driving makes it look scary fast (passenger working it)

The other thing I noticed when we used van was the noise of the fan on the fridge. So I identified the fan used, which was an 120mm fan, which was rated at 31dBA, 75CFM and 190mA.

I replaced this with a computer fan rated at 7.4 dBA, 63 CFM and 120mA

So slight drop in airflow, but massive drop in noise.

I also installed 3 80mm fans at 9.1dBA, with a manual fan controller to aid airflow around the fridge area as the fridge fan blows sideways, not around. this is on permanently but inaudible at a low level.

I created a list of things I have to do in priority order as I get distracted easily. There was an ebay sale on so bought a couple of 100W solar panels, but don't need to fit them yet.

The list is:
  1. Gas tank
  2. heater
  3. new front for kitchen cabinet
  4. cooker
  5. solar panels
  6. new base for bathroom
  7. toilet
  8. sink
  9. roof lights
  10. bathroom side wall
  11. shower

I will probably forget this as soon as I see something else.

Anyway there was another ebay offer, and thought through our bike problem. (I said I'd forget the list...) The issue was 3 fold, 1) we need to securely store our bikes as we know of people who had their tampered with on their van. 2)If we don't leave them on the van we won't take them & :relievedface: our bikes have no suspension so a little harsh on rough tracks.

ebay offer was 15% everything and found something magical that was cheaper than a bike rack and met our need...
Folding mountain bikes... so order 2.
2 days later...

amazingly bad suspension but takes out the bumps.
Should be great off road, oh....

Anyway, as long as they get across fields, they be fine.
And they do this, which is ideal.

So back to the gas tank.

I'd also ordered a portable satellite from aldi as it was on offer for £30 and a 12V android TV. After finding the update processes on the web, I tested it and worked great apart from finding the wrong satellite and getting 400 French and German TV channels. Once I pointed it at the right satellite it got UK freesat channels, excellent for the few times we plan to use it.

Anyway, the gas tank.

I order the kit to fit it at the front of the ducato as its a Euro 4 van there is a gap behind the exhaust where it simply bolts to the fame.
But on mine there isn't, it has factory air suspension which is great and helpfully comes with an anti-rollbar, which the standard one doesn't which is in front of the suspension. All good, but when the tanks were fitted they had to be mounted further forward to avoid the anti-rollbar and compromised the space.

There is space between the suspension and the spare wheel, so thought about there but the 25l tank hits the airbag mounts... damn

So I was going to have to ditch the spare wheel and mount the tank there.

Rear underneath of the vehicle looked like this:

I removed the wheel and the mount, then noticed something. The XLWB is 30cm longer that the LWB, which the achieved by extending the chassis and body by 30cm. It looks like they did this though duplicating the last 30cm of the van, resulting in the XLWB having all the mounting holes for the spare wheel where the LWB would have it. ooh...
So rivnuts installed, some threaded rod/bolt and it was good to mount the spare wheel winch.

And the Wheel

I could then mount the gas tank, I had already bought new mounts which needed altering to fit the new location by trimming a few mm off with a grinder.

Took it all off and undersealed it.

I then installed the gas pipe into the habitation area and the main stopcock, took a bit of faffing about but got it done.
I'll insert some pictures later, but installed conduit around the pipes to protect them and tested with compressed air.

Next job is to stick to the list....

D

Deleted member 63

Excellent, apart from the undersealing, it is known that if it gets chipped water gets in and stays there causing rust, better to add extra paint, or maybe some rear mudflaps to protect it.