More motivation required....

BigStevie

Well folks, after a long break from the forum, I'm back! Been one of those years, planting both relatives and friends and dealing with the dementia in others, it's been a tough one.
Right, to business. The abandoned sprinter is now being serviced, mot'd and having the paintwork tidied up and I'm focusing once again on building the van. It's been so long since we had a go at designing layouts the paper has turned the colour of parchment, but the notes revealed that we did decide on a final layout. SWMBO has reminded me that we have tickets for the Battle Proms at the beginning of August and has suggested to me that I must get my finger out as she fully expects me to have the beast (mostly) finished by August 8th... Given that I won't get the van back for another couple of weeks, I'm seeking kind words of inspiration to help me motivate my aching body towards the build. Any encouragement welcome!

Stevie

mistericeman

Get on with it ......

Seriously, try to set yourself some easily achievable goals for a start ...
I found it daunting at first BUT once I'd set a target of getting the P/O efforts removed... And had a blank canvas.
The enthusiasm built pretty quickly .... Three decent weekends later and we headed off (using a airbed to sleep on on the bed platform)
One of the whippets put paid to that as I was, making coffee and a scream from the other half as the Whippet talon punctured airbed deflated, resulting in arse-plywood bedbase interface and a trip to Argos in Caernarfon for a new double sprung mattress.

We have pretty much driven the wheels off it since AND hand on heart it's been a blast.

D

Deleted member

Hi Stevie, welcome back. August 8th (this year I presume) - no problem - one of our members (Mike) will probably buy, convert 2 vans and have them sold by then!!! Good luck with it and just do as she tells you. Geoff.;););).

Fran Loake

I work better with a deadline. That's to say if I had loads left to do and had booked up to go away next weekend I'd somehow get it done.
That might not sound like motivation but it'd get some jobs sorted!

I'd book a weekend away in 10 days time and that would do several things....

It'd make you priorotise some jobs (like bed, gas, water and lights etc).

It would limit the amount of "thinking" time - rather than "doing" time (that helped me no end).

And it would give you a weekend away - sounds like you need it - and nothing boosts interest in the van more than a few days away in it.

Fran

D

Deleted member

[QUOTE="Fran Loake, post: 21762, member: 76. - nothing boosts interest in the van more than a few days away in it.

Fran[/QUOTE]

Especially if the bed is still missing!!!! Geoff.;);););)

BigStevie

Thanks chaps, the reality is I'm bursting(!) with energy to get going for the very reasons you said. I sold my old T4 camper last week, so have a few quid to go out spending with.... blown air heater and compressor fridge, here I come!

Stevie

misterg

For what it's worth, I'd get some sort of priority list going - blown air heating wouldn't be my #1 for an early August trip :D

Having been "at it" for about 2 months so far, and still not really at the fun stuff all I can say is "It will take longer than you think" - Everything will!

I guess you need a bed, which needs a floor to stand on, and some walls to mount to, so start there. By all means make provision for stuff to be fitted later (you need to), but crack on with the stuff that matters.

Oh, and sitting reading about it on the internet is a massive time thief - now get back out there!! :openedeyewink:

Good luck with the build :)

BigStevie

I've got most of what I already need, was holding off on buying the expensive toys until I needed them. Plans done (mostly!), timber in the bothy, got all the water/plumbing ,insulation on it's way, windows and vents bought plus boxes of electrical stuff. Need the mentioned heater and fridge together with the solar set-up and acres of four way stretch carpet (I like a 'soft' feel to the interior!).
The build will start at the back and work forward. The rear of the van will have a fitted king size bed on a platform that creates a boot space. then a bulkhead with a bog/shower room one side and the kitchen the other. Finally, the remaining space will have seating and a table, simples.
It's not going to be anywhere near a top end job, like so many on here have the skill and patience to build, a sort of comfy utilitarian finish is the way for me. Also, I set out with an idea I could buy and convert a van for 6 to 7k, ha! SWMBO has requested (we all know what that means...) fairy lights, who am I to dare to argue......

Stevie

Darcar

Good luck with your build, I’m sure it’s possible to get a useable van within your time window..
Planning your jobs must be the answer.
Darcar

Spooky_b329

I've just got back into mine after over a year off! I spent a week pondering, staring and getting demotivated, then a week waiting for some supplies, and for the last week I've been going at it and now I just need to keep the momentum until its actually finished, rather than stopping at 'useable'!

BigStevie

Well, the living room carpet was turned in to 'motorhome autopsy' today. I thought I need to lay all the bits out to see exactly what I've got, and what not. Well, it was a good excuse to unpack all the toys and parts again......

Stevie

Darcar

Easy to forget what you’v bought! I have to make lists now.
Darcar

D

Deleted member

Lists are great - if you can remember where you put the list!!! Geoff.

BigStevie

Well, what with the continuing family shinanigans and a bit of sore hip, the van didn't get quite completed last year. As soon as the polar bears and penguins retreat back to the arctic I'll get the old girl finished. I've got 99% of the parts, so just down to me now. SWMBO even bought the fabric for the seating...

Stevie

time4t

It sounds like you're at the same stage as me, except I've been here for the last couple of years!!

I have to many big projects going on that I work alone on, like refurbishing a snapdragon 26 footer, a big steel framed cabin ( eves ridge & uprights are all RSJ's ), running out of funds doesn't help!

Since Christmas 2017 have had probs with ill health, I have Stage three Heart failure which was only properly diagnosed in October last year & I'm the full time carer for my truly obnoxious father in law, think cantankerous & X it by 10!

So all is being done slowly, frosty weather makes it hard to breath, bending down gives me a nose bleed because of the increase in blood pressure.
It's not all bad news, I've lost 4 1/2 stone (28.5 kilos) since leaving hospital :).

Anyway, it's nice that the sites back & to reconnect with familiar faces/avatars!!

TTFN, Phill

Roadrunner

At this rate there will only be ghosts on here,do all get better please as you lot are scaring me a tad.

Liberty hall

Steve
Don’t worry about the van taking so much time!! Muttley took us 2 years and I was out there every day! Even the good lady came out and helped fit Barrett thanks in the snow. Admittedly In some x Royal Marines artic clothing! We now just laugh when people ask how long did it take!!
Once its finished and your enjoying a view with a cuppa the time seems is insignificant especially when a top of the range pvc pulls up by you and you think of the pennies you’ve saved.

mistericeman

Our Jumbo seemed to stall as soon as it was usable....built bed platform/cupboards at the rear and solar/batteries etc and off we went ...
Blow up airbed on bed platform for first weekend thinking we would buy a mattress when funds had built up again ...

Then one of the whippets put her claw through the airbed (whilst the mrs was still in it ) ...

Trip to Argos in Caernarfon for a new sprung mattress ...

Ive finished other bits here and there BUT overall its still a project,and now we've got the swift ...looks like someone else will be finishing it off lol.