Max motorhome width

acecard

So the max vehicle width is 2.55m according to the info I've been trawling through.

Then, there's info that says that "if the width is over 2.9m or protrudes over one side by 305mm then........", but what I can't seem to get a handle on is what happens if you are at say 2.65m??

Any ideas guys?

acecard

Thanks,

But this bit I knew. According to

It says that an abnormal load is any vehicle with a width over 2.9m. So, they are saying that 2.55m is the limit, but that 2.9m is classed as abnormal, so it stands to reason that anything under 2.9m is "normal". So I'm confused about what has happened to anything between 2.55m and 2.9m?! Obviously these vehicles use the road, so what I'm trying to work out is what needs to be done to be ok to drive a vehicle that is over 2.55m but under 2.9m.

acecard

OK so I guess the distinction between the 2.9m figure and the 2.55m figure is that up to 2.9m is allowed if it is a load being carried e.g. a mobile home being transported on an artic?

The reason I ask is that my truck box is 2.55m on the dot! This leaves me no room for external cladding (25mm batten and 10ish mm cladding on each side). This is a spanner in the works for sure as the box doesn't look great at all, but I wasn't bothered about this as the idea was to clad it!

Really annoying as I had planned everything else about the build meticulously! The only way I get around this now is by cutting out the GRP panelling, and setting the exterior walls in by 35mm each side using wood studwork and then re-panelling with plywood. Proper faff, but will look rubbish if I don't do some kind of exterior covering!

Any creative ideas guys?!

tacr2man

You are right only a refrigerated vehicle can be a few mm wider . 2600 mm
But you dont want to be any wider than absolutely necessary . driving an American RV makes you well aware of that :)
Have you thought of wrapping . You can get Camo etc . if you want to get away from the big white etc slab look . Might even be possible to get a log cabin wrap ?

acecard

Yeah I did look at wrapping but it's pretty pricey! That would be the easiest option, although I think some of the old stickering might show through!

mistericeman

Get it sprayed with Raptor paint.... It hides a multitude of sins AND ads a, bit of sound deadening too.

acecard

Get it sprayed with Raptor paint.... It hides a multitude of sins AND ads a, bit of sound deadening too.
Been reading up/watching videos on that Raptor stuff........see what you mean by it covering up stuff! Interesting stuff! Will look into that more!

mistericeman

Been reading up/watching videos on that Raptor stuff........see what you mean by it covering up stuff! Interesting stuff! Will look into that more!
It's very highly thought of in the 4x4 world.... Can look very smart IMHO and is very hard wearing.
Few folks i know have applied it themselves with a compressor and a schutz gun.

(quite fancied a 4.7m crafter with large knobbly tyres in NATO green matt)

tacr2man

This guy does raptor resprays very economical from all accounts