Lost enthusiasm

Dunslow

Hi, new here and although browsed here ages ago (and previous member of another forum), I'm back and still full of enthusiasm with the prospect of another build. I've visited a few times over the last few days and took the whole two minutes to register this afternoon, and noticed I was then the only "member" logged on, but 35 guests. My thoughts would be a way to have a more "stand-out" "WELCOME" banner on the front/home page with just a couple of lines encouraging those just "browsing" for an answer to a single question, but missing out on the wealth of knowledge contained within by joining. 2p.

VanNV

Just an observation but it seems to me that this fine website has lost regular input and enthusiasm. Any thoughts? Dave.
It has.

It's a shame, it had gathered a bit of momentum - regular posters, banter, a sense of community - but the owner had some kind of argument with regular posters and decided to shut it down. It rose like a phoenix from the ashes a few months later - and we're all grateful for that - but the air had been let out.

I hope it re-inflates but it will take time

I would imagine the individual members are still just as enthusiastic - I fitted my Ring RSC B2B charger today and it works! I was really excited - really excited - but didn't feel that there is a community here worth sharing that with )c:

Dunslow

Huff Puff and re-inflate. This member of the community wants to know about a Ring RSC B2B charger. You are the community?

VanNV

This member of the community wants to know about a Ring RSC B2B charger.
Fexcellent piece of kit! (https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/rscdc30) Takes DC input from the cranking battery or a solar panel. Works a bit like the old "split charge relay" but does a better job (multi-stage charging) and works with modern vans (mine is 201:relievedface: that utilise "smart" alternators.

The great thing about the Ring is that it will also take input from a solar panel and act as a MPPT controller all from the same box. Not cheap, but a great way of looking after your not-cheap leisure batteries!

When I finally got mine all connected up (having actually located the cranking battery under the passenger footwell, drilled a few holes, and wired it up) it showed an error. My heart sank. Duff unit from eBay? (I bought it over six months ago...). I checked the error code and it was "insufficient voltage from source" - i.e it wasn't drawing any power. When I started the engine it sprang into life and started charging the domestics. Working perfectly and I am a happy bear!

Coire

I'm still lurking here. May post some more updates of my van build. As mentioned above you hesitate when it doesn't seem like there's much going on which creates a vicious circle.

I suspect many previous members still have this site in their bookmarks but skip over it as they assmue it is closed.

Has there been any announcements elsewhere that this site is open for business again?

misterg

Still around, and check by occasionally :)

It has been *very* quiet recently, so haven't bothered to post much, as it seems like nobody is here. (I've also "finished" the van (nearly), so there is less to blather about.)

I still feel slightly miffed that Jim shut the site down with no notice, and wonder if/when it will happen again. I'm aware of the reason why, and accept that he was fully entitled to do so.

I'm pleased that it has been resurrected, and hope that it takes off again, because it was a really useful and lively place. S'pose I should get posting, then, really :-/

Liberty hall

We’re still around, check in every day to see if there is anything we can help with!! Though of late it’s been quiet. May take time for the word to get around that we’re back

BigStevie

I'm sure the forum will come back to life. Perhaps it's more to do with a bunch of regulars being busy with other things (I'm decorating my house end to end as I want it sold this year). Be assured, I'll be back once the van is at the top of the list again!!!

Stevie

time4t

I visit at least once a week, but have recently had to seriously curtail working on my various projects due stage three heart failure, which should have been diagnosed more than 2 years ago, when it was stage one.
so my half refurbed boat is being sold, my cabin is slowly getting there, but drilling a 15mm hole, in 10mm thick steel knackers me & leaves me struggling for breath.
My conversion's had a lot of prepping, insulation's almost done, I've reupholstered the cab, derusted it, painted the back doors & the roof, took the windscreen out to reseal & derusted around the rim, which as it's a riot van is 15mm thick & a bit weighty, resealed all the side & back windows twice, plus various other jobs so etc., etc.,

Have also nearly sorted my cars faults.

I'm caring for my father in law 24/7/365 which complicates matters even more.
But like I said, hey hoo, someones got to do it!

When I get out to my workshop, all my troubles drift away & I start enjoying myself again!!!

ATB, Phill

BigStevie

I'm caring for my father in law 24/7/365 which complicates matters even more.
But like I said, hey hoo, someones got to do it!

When I get out to my workshop, all my troubles drift away & I start enjoying myself again!!!
I've only recently finished four years of 24/7 caring for my folks, certainly crossed some bridges. I take my hat off to all carers, a year on from when my duties finished I still find it hard to break the routine, get a full night's kip etc.
The workshop was and continues to be my 'happy place'. The weather's keeping me from the van, but then there are the pressure lamps, my secret fetish!