Jerry-cans for water storage

VanNV

Hi All,

for my next trick... I'm going to build a bar (hurrah!!!!)

A friend (who happens to own a vineyard...) and I are have just started converting a horsebox into a mobile bar selling English wines and cheeses, now I know that this is a self-builld Mo-Ho forum, but a lot of the challenges will be the same.

My first challenge is water - we will only need a small amount, easily replenishable, for washing hands etc. so I was thinking of using 2x25l jerry cans, one for fresh and one for grey. I have seen these used in camper-type conversions with a cap that appears to be adapted for running a hose through - presumably sealed but with a breather - does anyone have any idea what these are called and where I could start looking?

Groyne

I had 2x25l water containers for fresh water in the last van. I had rubber bung with a plastic tube through it on the suction side of the pump. Can't find a picture of one online though.

misterg

You can get lids with pouring spouts (which I guess you could feed a pipe down).

We used to have jerrycans for water on our first boat - I just drilled a hole in the lid to take the pipe...

Livotlout

I have used 30ltr fermenting (beer) barrels from Wilco, the lids are 5 inch diameter, and will easily take 3 connections.

Coire

Most plastic jerry cans have a standard IBC cap. You can buy replacement caps with various fittings such as BSP threads, taps, hose connectors etc. Just seach ebay for IBC for a rough idea.

In my van i have a submersible pump in a bottle with the cable and hose running through the cap. I just drilled a large hole in the cap. To make it better sealed I was going to add a rubber grommet but so far there has been no need at all. If my van rolls over a bit of water will be the last thing on my mind :)

VanNV

Thanks everyone - some food for thought here, but not quite what I was thinking - I am sure I have seen lids/caps already adapted for having pipes through without having to drill them

Brewing kit sounds a good idea @Livotlout - I might look into that, otherwise make it myself as @Coire says!

Made good progress on the box today - got one wall battened, insulated, and lined. What's nice is that there are a few holes in the skin where we had to drill rivets out so we plugged them by screwing from the outside in with roofing screws. Doesn't need the same "pro" finish as a MoHo, in fact the utilitarian/agricultural look is a plus (c:

mistericeman

Used the black military Jerry cans for years.... Top quality and very easy to keep clean (probs all the chemicals used in the manufacture demanded by the military lol)
Don't go green inside unlike the clear ones and breather valve makes, pouring easier.

Always take a couple away with us in the landrovers....