Inverter sizing!

OShea2609

Morning all,

I'm going to be running most of my electrical appliances off a 12v system connected to my solar, however need an inverter to power a couple items, charging power tools occasionally but mainly my misses' 300W blender for 5 mins in the morning.
What's the minimum size inverter you would recommend for my needs? I understand that often you need double or triple the continuous wattage of the highest drawing item to allow for start up surge so I'm imagining 800-1200w?
Cheers in advance!

VanNV

Hi @OShea2609 - most modern inverters allow for start-up surge currents without tripping out, so a 300W inverter would allow 600W for a couple of seconds and then happily deliver a constant 300W

I would go for a little higher than your expected max, maybe a 500W pure sine

Rgds

Rob

OShea2609

Great cheers fellas,
Am looking at the Victron 500W pure sine inverter charger combo, delivers 900W at peak. Should be more than enough to charge phones, laptops, and run the blender?
Running fridge off 12v.
Jacko

VanNV

Sounds like a good set-up - Victron is a very well-respected brand.

Just out of interest, you can get DC - DC power supplies for laptops; I have one for my 19V Dell which plugs straight into the 12V on the boat/van and is more efficient. Otherwise you are taking 12V DC from the battery, upping it to 240V AC via the inverter, then converting back to (around) 12V DC by the laptop's own power-pack

Not sure about your phone's, but my centuries old blackberry charges quite happily from a USB which also can be wired straight to the 12V (or one of the the van's existing cigarette lighter sockets)

R

Wissel

Great cheers fellas,
Am looking at the Victron 500W pure sine inverter charger combo, delivers 900W at peak. Should be more than enough to charge phones, laptops, and run the blender?
Running fridge off 12v.
Jacko
That's a great little inverter, if the VE Direct 12 500? I had one running 24/7 (powering a fridge) and it was faultless. Only got rid of it to get the bigger Victron (run most of my van from 240v, but have a lot of battery/solar).

Just a tiny point if this model, it's 500VA or 400w (is 900w peak). In reality probably far more powerful than most PSW inverters labelled at 500w though, it's just the way Victron rate them ;)

Plus it can be left on in ECO mode and only use 2Ah per 24 hours.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Phoenix-Inverter-VE.Direct-250VA-1200VA-EN.pdf

Coire

Being an IT tech I agree with the DC-DC comment. In fact nearly all PC equipment including laptops run at 12V normally. The higher voltages are used only to charge the batteries. I have often modified a laptop charger removing the transformer and wiring straight into a 12v socket.

The exception is with some netbooks, tablets etc which run at 5v and so can be used off a USB port.