Insurance costs

Thinking of buying a Merc Sprinter spotted one online 2012 SWB 100,000 miles. Contacted an insurance company for a quote while I'm converting it and it came back £980 which to me sounds excessive especially since I wouldn't be using it but for a few trips to get materials. Is there a good company out there that understand the self build motorhome community. For 14 years I had a motorcycle trike and there was one insurance company that were great to deal with who made the extra effort. The other choice I have is to get the van delivered and not insure it until it's done. It's pretty secure with me and I could always take the wheels off !!!! Thanks guys.

Vans are always expensive to insure , as you say registered as a motorcaravan much cheaper . Dont know of anyone who does vans cheap :(

misterg

There will be cheaper quotes than that! - Try Adrian Flux (I've been insured by them, but never claimed.)

Ours was about £350 on a new van; dropped to <£300 once converted.

misterg, you've cheered me up. I had Adrian Flux (other name Bikesure) when I had my bikes and trikes so maybe that'll help. Thanks again.:D

For bare van for private use, Aviva was about the £250 mark for my last 3 vans. Worth a try.

When converted, cheapest I could get was about £350.

Tried Adrian Flux a few minutes ago and they came in at £294 heck of a difference from the £980 first quote. I think I will go with that. Thank you all for your advice. Hope I can hell you all sometime.

Tried Adrian Flux a few minutes ago and they came in at £294 heck of a difference from the £980 first quote. I think I will go with that. Thank you all for your advice. Hope I can hell you all sometime.
hi there
Adrian flux will do an agreed valuation once the conversion has been done and will also cover your contents whilst in the van. They also offer a discount on limited mileage policies.

Cheers - mike

Thanks Mike, didn't get that far. They quoted me for the van and conversion based on 1000 miles. I will use the van to get some timber from a local sawmill but once I start the conversion I don't see me using the van. Would like to do the lot in a year. I have a well equipped woodwork shop (I don't tell my wife that, there's always 3 tools I need). I can see it taking longer to do the electrics and the plumbing. But I have no idea! Cheers

Yes this happens. I have 1000 miles insurance cover so will use it to try to combat what happened to you. It must have added up to a costly experience.