House truck build diary!

timinhastings

yep looked into them also removals lorrys ...but getting one for under 5k theses days is getting near inpossable so my hunt is still on .....still 3.5k in the bank is burning a hole in my pocket ....gagging to get cracking on

acecard

wow first post and loving this ....im just about to do this my self as an off grid living ....fed up with high bills ,c/ tax bla bla bla ....what size box is on the back ? 24ft ? .....keep posting thanks tim ps ....its giving me plenty of hope n idears now
Exactly my motivation, mate! Plan to be in it full time, moving our permanent base to Portugal and travelling around from there, in primarily warm climates. The box is 24ft long, and once I've extended it upwards, will be just over 13ft tall (from the road that is!). Plan is 2.5kW of solar with 660aH of batteries (to make use of the Portuguese sun!), re-circulating shower and kitchen water (the latter only to wash already rinsed plates so no grease and other crap going into the filters and UV system) to minimise water waste, compost toilet, wood-burner, LPG blown air heater, and an LPG generator to top up the batteries in an emergency (still toying with the idea of an ultra-emergency EHU as well, but feel like the genny will do that job just fine). As off-grid as I can possibly make it! Glad your enjoying it. Sadly haven't done much recently due to Christmas and NY, but gonna hit it hard come Jan!!!!

acecard

yep looked into them also removals lorrys ...but getting one for under 5k theses days is getting near inpossable so my hunt is still on .....still 3.5k in the bank is burning a hole in my pocket ....gagging to get cracking on
Yeah, this style and size of dropwell luton box seems to come at a premium. Bought ours with some damage but knew I would be banging the thing about and changing the exterior so wasn't overly bothered. Still paid £3600 with the VAT though!

acecard

tacr2man

I enquired about that one......been on for ages! The thing that put me off was the lack of MOT and I think it's like 14ft tall, so you'd never be able to take it to most EU countries as the limit is just over 13ft. Might not be an issue for some but was for me.
good points , didnt read the specs . :)

timinhastings

I enquired about that one......been on for ages! The thing that put me off was the lack of MOT and I think it's like 14ft tall, so you'd never be able to take it to most EU countries as the limit is just over 13ft. Might not be an issue for some but was for me.
sadly gone ....but many thanks for posting the link.......tim

Iain Simmonds

It was £3800 inc VAT yes its a 23ft box . Hopefully it will end up with a dropwell garage and comfortable accommodation for 3.

BigStevie

That looks like a lot of fun for the money! Seriously, great potential on what looks like a very clean low mileage lorry. Well done!

acecard

Ok, I'm back. Apologies for the absence but I've been so flat out on the truck that I haven't had a chance to update things here, and you'll see why now!

So had the entire Christmas and New Year doing nothing on the truck, and coming back to it was hard initially to get motivated! Now, I can't stop thinking about it! The first job to tackle was to get the old leaky fibreglass roof off as I wanted to extend upwards to gain some extra headroom inside the luton and other raised floors. Erected some wood on one side and ordered a 12m x 6m tarp! Plan was to throw the tarp over the top, creating an angle for any rain to trickle down, keeping the inside dry. I would then work inside, underneath said tarp, cutting out the roof........simple!

Attachments

acecard

Not simple AT ALL! Firstly, trying to work with a 12m x 6m tarp is impossible to do without almost hanging yourself in the process! Secondly......WIND! Nearly took off trying to get the thing over the truck each time the wind blew!! Thirdly, I couldn't pull the tarp over the truck tight enough to create the nice slope that I was hoping for, so instead the rain kept collection and pooling in areas, and it leaked.....A LOT!! I tried bracing it internally with wood but that didn't really work well either. Gave up in the end and made piece with the idea that the inside of the truck was gonna be exposed to the elements for a while whilst I cut out the roof and extended it! Had I known that Storm Brendan was on its way a few days later, I might have waited a week before beginning this task!!! Oh well!!! At least I replaced the flooring with the proper stuff, so it is resisting the wet perfectly well!

Attachments

acecard

So, whilst my main aim was to get the roof done, I should probably say that the way I planned the build was that the roof was going to be part of the internal wall framework. This actually means that in order to do the roof, I also needed to do the wall framing at the same time. So I started on this.

Over the Christmas period, the build design changed again (for the 50th-odd time)! We moved the kitchen around and also the access point to our bedroom area. More importantly, we also decided that quite an important part of full-time living, especially in the warmer climates that we hope to tour around, was to have a drop-down deck that we could use to extend our living space to the outdoors. BUT.......the truck is at max width. The only way to have this feature was to go......in! The missus also had the crazy (yet very cool) idea of creating an upper roof-top style lounge area (for wine drinking!). The picture shows the framework for the recessed deck area and patio doors, as well as the joist support for the upper deck. Oh, and remember those oak patio doors that I bought as a replacement for the first ones? Well they're too big for what we want now! Currently sat under the truck getting wet whilst I wait to sell them! Ordered some smaller summerhouse patio doors as replacements.

Attachments

acecard

Nothing like a difficult job on a frosty 20th January morning to get you working up a sweat and warming those fingers and toes! The last few days have been BITTERLY cold, and with the roof open, I've been sliding around on ice inside the truck! Can't wait to get the thing weather tight! Anyway, the difficult job......removing the luton floor by myself! I reckon that floor also weighed about 50kg! A pulled neck muscle and a broken ladder later and it's out.

Attachments