House truck build diary!

acecard

And finally............at last..........the rear wall!! Took a little while to get around to this as I've had less time on the truck over the last couple of weeks due to family commitments. Just finished framing it today and will get it boarded, wrapped and battened by the end of this week (cladding will be left til the end of the project).

The left is where the entrance door will be, and the right is where the bike storage shed will be, which is going to have a pull down ramp to make it easily accessible. One thing that was very important in this build was to have the entrance at the rear, so that you didn't need to have steps intruding onto the pavement side in the UK, or on the road side in Europe!!! Above the front door and bike shed will be mine and the missus bedroom, hence the window. The OCD part of me is a bit annoyed because whilst the window is perfectly central to the truck, it is not central to the two doors. This is because I wanted the bike shed door to be a little wider to ensure easier access with bike handlebars. Although it looks annoying now, once the wall is cladded (the bike shed door will be partially hidden as it will be cladded as if part of the wall), it should look OK! I hope!

And now we are up-to-date!!!! Phew! Enough ramblings for one night!

Attachments

Reactions: Kia

Kia

Amazing keep the updates and pics coming loving this and your ideas!

acecard

Thanks for the comments! Frustrating last few days.

Firstly, some idiot broke into the gas compartment of our current MH and nicked one of our 6kg propane bottles. No damage done though so I guess that's a positive point. They did the same to a camper on the parallel road. I'm guessing that these compartment "locks" all work with a common key then?!

Second frustrstion: when framing the rear wall of the truck, I fitted the door frame to get the exact opening, but removed it after that so that I could board up and get the Tyvek wrap around the opening. When I refitted the frame, the door now longer fitted nicely.......uneven gaps that didn't agree with the OCD monster within me! So something had clearly shifted between removing it and refitting. Didn't really fancy hacking down my beautiful oak door so I tried amending the frame and in the process ruined it! And external hardwood door frames aren't cheap! Back down the builders merchants and take 2 today! Hopefully by this evening I will be posting a picture of a rear wall with door, all ready to be clad at a later date!

Roadrunner

Looks a good job but only one thing to tell you as a anticorrosive engineer,forget hammerite as its only house paint with zylen added,always shotblast steel and coat with 2 pack zinc rich epoxy as a primer.
Keep up the good work as its going to be a super big camper.

acecard

Looks a good job but only one thing to tell you as a anticorrosive engineer,forget hammerite as its only house paint with zylen added,always shotblast steel and coat with 2 pack zinc rich epoxy as a primer.
Keep up the good work as its going to be a super big camper.
Wish I knew this before! It's done and covered now! Never mind! As of this week we decided that the primary use of this van will be to tour round the hotter climates, with most stops being at least a few weeks long, so the underside shouldn't see too much water over the time we have it! The last load of steel lasted 14 years with some pretty continuous wetting so hoping that this will be ok!!

acecard

I forgot to post a picture of the boarded and wrapped wall! Here it is.

Back to the door fitting cock-up from the other day...........So in the end, once I replaced the damaged frame, I ended up having to bite the bullet and plane my door down, although the gap on one side was still too large. I ended up cutting 5mm off one of the frame jambs in order to close the gap. Don't really understand what went so wrong to make this happen, but it looks ok now. And when I do all the internal cladding and finishing, I will be lining the door frame with some nice oak trim.

Attachments

acecard

Next job was to rip out all the metal hangers inside the box........was considering leaving them in and just insulating around them, but realised that they would get in the way of my wall framing. Also, there's a fair bit of weight to be saved from getting of all that.....around 70kg!

Not an easy job, but nearly done (some of the adhesive they used to stick them on was on there so strong that it pulled off some bits of the GRP and ply laminate!!!!

Attachments

acecard

We went to a Christmas tree farm the other day and the cabin was a perfect example of the exterior look I'm trying to achieve with the truck..........thought I'd post it!

Attachments

Roadrunner

We went to a Christmas tree farm the other day and the cabin was a perfect example of the exterior look I'm trying to achieve with the truck..........thought I'd post it!
Looks good but remember it has to look like a camper to get the cert and cheep insurance.

acecard

Looks good but remember it has to look like a camper to get the cert and cheep insurance.
Yeah will have all the correct number of windows, awning bar etc to meet the new 2019 requirements. The only issue I may have is the whole graphics thing, in which case, I'll throw some swirly motorhome-style vinyl stickers on, snap the pics and then rip them off again!

Roadrunner

Yeah will have all the correct number of windows, awning bar etc to meet the new 2019 requirements. The only issue I may have is the whole graphics thing, in which case, I'll throw some swirly motorhome-style vinyl stickers on, snap the pics and then rip them off again!
Yes good move i am not a fan of stickers,looks tacky.

acecard

My current issue with the lap board is ensuring that i keep it to a maximum of 7mm so that I don't exceed my width limit!.........and nowhere sells it that thin so looks like I will be buying a router table and making my own!

acecard

More progress, although only a small amount. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm pretty much gonna have to down tools now till after Christmas..........too much to do at the moment (or rather I'm being delegated too much by a certain someone with long hair and a pretty face!!!)

Attachments

Roadrunner

Think i would ditch the board as weight and security in the event of a crash,bits may go flying,just a thought,rule is keep it light for fuel economy and easy washed.

acecard

Funny, I was literally just thinking about this and discussing with the wife over a glass of rum and lime!! As much as I like the wood clad look, we think the best thing might be to fibreglass the sides, as they do with roofs, which would give a nice textured look/feel and cover all the blemishes. We would then get a local street artist (an abundance of them here in Bristol!) to paint something beautiful on it, like a forest scenery or something.

timinhastings

wow first post and loving this ....im just about to do this my self as an off grid living ....fed up with high bills ,c/ tax bla bla bla ....what size box is on the back ? 24ft ? .....keep posting thanks tim ps ....its giving me plenty of hope n idears now