Hi - PVC Questions

sparrow

Carpeted two of the walls last night, as these need to be fitted so we can start the bed frames tomorrow.

Finding the screw holes is going to be fun

sparrow

Loads done the last few weeks, as we're spending a week in in two weeks time.

Went to have the water tanks fitted. He was near Leeds, and I needed to be back for just after lunch, so I was up at 5 a.m.

Took him all of 20 minutes! :fish:

I was able to collect a spare engine block for me, and another for a friend, and meet up to pass his on.

Then back home to make a start on the beds.

At this point we could sleep on them.

Then fitted the awning brackets:

sparrow

Last weekend the girls and I spent the weekend in Mabel (wife was away at a hen do).
Drove down Friday night, spent Saturday with friends, then came home Sunday morning for a birthday party.

We got there a little after 5. I unpacked the camping fridge and fitted the gas, unpacked the folding chairs and table, and we were ready!! :veryhappy::veryhappy:

Don't seem to have any pictures. :sad:

Friday night we had all 3 windows open, and I was a bit cold.
Saturday night I forgot to open any, and was too hot.
That bodes well, as with 4 of us in, we can be toasty warm or nice an cool. :thumb:

sparrow

Made a huge amount of progress over the last week.

Fitted the awning, as we have a fork lift at work at the moment.

All the walls were carpeted in the evenings, and some wires laid ready.

Today we fitted the carpeted walls, cut, carpeted and fitted the ceiling panels, and finished the stud work for the bulkhead and one of the bunks.

It started raining, so we used the awning:

So much timber:

Next Saturday we'll do the other bunk and build the cupboard between the two beds.

david.c.hall

Hi Sparrow,
That looks a very sturdy construction! (a lot more so than mine)
What is the plan for the bit between the back doors and the partition?
I mainly ask because it looks from the photos that by the time you are all in there and all the bits and pieces (beer and food for instance) that you are going to be getting very close to being over 3500 Kg !!
Or is the plan to get it up rated ?
If it's a maxi I think you can go up to 4000 Kg
David

sparrow

Thanks David
It's very sturdy, but with two children it needs to be.
The back of the bulkhead will have peg board on so we can hang things like folding chairs/tables from it. It's only a few inches deep.

We're not adding much else, so we don't expect to be over the 3500kg limit, but time will tell.

sparrow

During the week last week, we finished carpeting and fitting all but one of the wall panels.

9 until 6 on Saturday.
The weather was wet, so we went down to the unit. Yay for indoors working.

First thing was to fit the last wall panel, which was a pain. No pictures, but it's in.

This is why we have Ed. Straight edges, and equipment that would be a significant part of the budget.

Bulkhead going in, along with first top bunk. Lunchtime break with crazy child.

Bulkhead done:

Beds done, along with cupboard, with built in ladder up the front for access to the top two bunks. We ran out of the material needed to do the last few rungs, but will finish that ASAP.
Bed 1:

Bed 2:

Lots of little things done as well, such as pulling the walls against the windows, and just fettling them all to fit nicely.

So what do you do when you have beds and cupboards?
You have a sleepover on the drive of course:

sparrow

My wife and two girls went down to Devon in Mabel for a week visiting her parents. We hadn't finished the awning but they didn't need it as they would spend most of the time at her parents.
It went very well, but the girls didn't like how high the beds were.

We then used this for a week at a camp site last week, and it was awesome.
First time setting up, and we were done in under 2 hours. That included half an hour strapping up one corner of the awning as the plastic bracket holding the leg snapped. Not great.
With a bit of use I reckon we can get that down to under an hour.

The week did highlight that the bed layout needs improving. The top bunks are too high meaning that it's going to be difficult for them to get in as they get older.
We also need a roof vent, as it gets a bit stuffy at night with the door closed. This wasn't an issue this week as we were on a known camp site, so just slept with the awning closed but the side door open. We won't be able to do that when wild camping, which is something we'd like to be able to do.

We used our old camping fridge and Cadac BBQ. This meant the only thing we couldn't do in the van was go to the loo. That's now our next priority after lowering the beds and fitting the roof vent. The beds will done this weekend, and hopefully we can squeeze in the roof vent as well.