Hi from Bristol!!

acecard

Just wanted to say hi!

The wife and I (and our two kids I guess!) currently own an Elddis motorhome that we love using but to be honest, it was always our dream to build/convert our own. Now we've upped the ante! Not only we going to be self-building our own, but we are going to be doing it on a 24ft 7.5t truck, renting out our house, moving into the truck, and going nomadic for an undefined amount of time (UK and Europe wide)! Will need to pass our Class 2 license first though!!

Really excited!

Cheers
AC

BigStevie

Good on you! Brave step, but you only get the one life to do it, best of luck, look forward to see what you build.

Stevie

Sandbagsid

If you passed your driving test before 1997 you can drive up to 7.5 ton on the c1 grade.

acecard

If you passed your driving test before 1997 you can drive up to 7.5 ton on the c1 grade.
Sadly I missed the boat by 5 years! Was going to go for the full Class 2 seeing as I will need to do an extra license for the 7.5t class, but seeing the price, I think I will simply stick with the C1! Gotta pay for both me AND the wife to do it, so looking at about £1200 as it stands, and that's assuming we both pass first time!!!

tacr2man

well you wont be short on Sq feet :) the only thing you will nee d to watch is weight , first is weigh the empty vehicle to give you a start point . The stuff can add up surprisingly quickly :)

acecard

well you wont be short on Sq feet :) the only thing you will nee d to watch is weight , first is weigh the empty vehicle to give you a start point . The stuff can add up surprisingly quickly :)
Yeah, definitely thinking about weight a lot. I think there is a weigh bridge near me so will take it in there! I have got a layout that I have pretty much finalised now (has taken me ages but I really wanted to make use of every bit of space possible!

acecard

Price of tests has gone up since I did my class2 in 1971 then lol
Yup!!! Looking at about 1300 quid for class 2!! C1 by comparison is about 600 quid, so less than half! Still annoying though as any one 5 years and older essentially got C1 for free!! So my mother-in-law can drive it and I wouldn't trust her with a remote control version, and I, who has lots of experience driving large vans (current motorhome included) have to spend money for another test. Grrrr!

acecard

So, the luton bit of the truck sits out about 5.6ft over the cab. Could anyone give me a sensible estimate of how much weight this overcab bit is likely to support?

Thanks
AC

Sandbagsid

Is the manufacturers name on the Luton body on the rear as that would be ya best bet for advice, I would think it would carry at least 150 kilograms but can’t be sure.

acecard

No, sadly can't see any markings on it. Starting to worry that me and the wife being up there day in, day out might be too much! Total of about 160KG, not including the floor, mattress and perhaps the odd bit of storage!

tacr2man

Having a bed up on the overcab , might not be the best place during summer , as it would get pretty warm up there . Take a couple of pics of the structural members (frame) and might be able to get a better assessment of the weight capability :)

acecard

Will do......Will have to wait for someone to give me a hand as opening the flap and pulling the floor back is a lot harder than I thought it would be!!!x'Dx'D

Regarding the heat, might just have to run some decent fans. The good thing is that in the summer, there should be plenty of solar to do this!XD:coldsweat:

acecard

A little more on the whole C1 vs full cat C argument.........rang through about 5 different HGV training centres and seems that these days there is little difference between the two in terms of price, maybe a couple hundred £; whats the point of a C1 licence then??!! Looks like I'm spending £2.5k to get this licence done then (for me and the wife)!!!

In that case, thinking that I'll just get the truck uprated to 8.3t by SVTech to give me the extra 800kgs to play with!!!