Herefordshire Newbie

InLimbo

Hi All,
I'm Dave. Currently between vans at the moment. Just sold my 6 berth Fiat Ducato based AutoTrail Scout manual and now looking for an automatic, MWB, high roof, rust free (?) Sprinter with less than 150k on the clock to convert into a 2 berth van. If anyone knows of one within a hundred miles or so of Hereford, I'd be pleased to hear from them.
Currently retired with plenty of time on my hands (I wish!) but qualified in electronics and domestic electrical installation together with plumbing skills acquired over the years and looking to get stuck into a conversion with, of course, the help of you friendly, knowledgeable people at DIY Motorhome.
That's my intro. I hope to be in contact again in due course.
Best wishes,
Dave.

david.c.hall

Any specific reason you are looking for a Sprinter?
It is only recently that Sprinters have been galvanised and the can rust badly
Other Galvanised/Auto options are the Renault and the Ducato.
Of those my choice has been the Ducato due to it having the widest,squarest body, which makes it easier to fit things in
David

BigStevie

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. As stated, the Sprinters aren’t galvanised, but there again they’re rear wheel drive, very comfortable and go like stink! As you’ve no doubt sussed, I’ve got a sprinter....
In all seriousness though, make sure you get a van that’s comfortable to drive. As far as a conversion goes, it can be exactly what you want. My non negotiable design point was to have a fixed king size bed. A huge waste of space, but it’s a van for two of us and in my sixties I want to be comfortable!
Good luck with your search for a van and the following build, lots of great help here.

Stevie

InLimbo

Any specific reason you are looking for a Sprinter?
It is only recently that Sprinters have been galvanised and the can rust badly
Other Galvanised/Auto options are the Renault and the Ducato.
Of those my choice has been the Ducato due to it having the widest,squarest body, which makes it easier to fit things in
David
Hi David,
Apologies for the delay replying. I've had a birthday since my intro and only just beginning to see clearly again!!
I've decided on a Sprinter for 2 reasons: 1, I have worked on them during previous employment so have some experience and 2, they seemed to be more plentiful a few months ago when I made my decision. Not so plentiful now though! Might be looking to convert a minibus, but that is a different subject. I am aware of the rust problem and therefore hoping to get a relatively rust free vehicle and keep it that way.
I've owned both a car and a motorhome made by Fix It Again Tomorrow. Enough said? No experience of Renault though.
Dave.

InLimbo

Welcome Dave to our merry band of van builders. Good luck with the search. Regards Dave. (that's 3 David's in a row)!
Hi Roadliner,
Thanks for the welcome. Forums are quite new to me so there may be the occasional cock-up with my postings.
Dave.

InLimbo

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. As stated, the Sprinters aren’t galvanised, but there again they’re rear wheel drive, very comfortable and go like stink! As you’ve no doubt sussed, I’ve got a sprinter....
In all seriousness though, make sure you get a van that’s comfortable to drive. As far as a conversion goes, it can be exactly what you want. My non negotiable design point was to have a fixed king size bed. A huge waste of space, but it’s a van for two of us and in my sixties I want to be comfortable!
Good luck with your search for a van and the following build, lots of great help here.

Stevie
Hi Stevie,
Thanks for your welcome. Having worked on Sprinters in a previous employment, I like the finer points that you mentioned.
My planned conversion is based on 2 in-line seats that convert into a double bed arrangement, the head being next to the rear doors. On the nearside the cooker will overlap the foot of the bed (at a suitable height) and on the offside the seat/bed will butt up against the toilet. I need some chalk and cardboard to plan it all out on the patio - when it stops raining!
Dave.

tacr2man

It might be worth a look at Iveco as similar pluses to sprinter . They are a nice drive JMHO