Hello to all,from another Newbie

Alcorn63

Hello everybody ,Alan from Co Durham. Just purchased an ex NHS transport minibus and hope to convert it into a good quality camper-van using all your experience,and advice and help. Any ideas tips or general build advice will be listened to and ve

Attachments

BigStevie

Hi Alan and welcome. As you’ll find be reading through old threads, first thing you need is a plan! Sounds sort of obvious, but working out the needs and wants can be a fair old task in itself.
The other biggie is budget. It’s related to the above, like if you want an up to date compressor fridge, it’ll cost £500. That might be too much for the budget? So, working out a plan that then fits around your budget, you get my drift.

It’s great fun making something personal to your needs. Sure, things will change as you go and as ideas mature. Another great aspect of self build, is that you can change something later or add an extra cupboard or whatever.
On the subject of cupboards, lots of storage space!

Good luck with your ideas, don5 be afraid to ask any questions, however daft you might think they are. Loads of knowledge here with folk happy to help.

Stevie

Alcorn63

Hi Alan and welcome. As you’ll find be reading through old threads, first thing you need is a plan! Sounds sort of obvious, but working out the needs and wants can be a fair old task in itself.
The other biggie is budget. It’s related to the above, like if you want an up to date compressor fridge, it’ll cost £500. That might be too much for the budget? So, working out a plan that then fits around your budget, you get my drift.

It’s great fun making something personal to your needs. Sure, things will change as you go and as ideas mature. Another great aspect of self build, is that you can change something later or add an extra cupboard or whatever.
On the subject of cupboards, lots of storage space!

Good luck with your ideas, don5 be afraid to ask any questions, however daft you might think they are. Loads of knowledge here with folk happy to help.

Stevie
Thanks my main want,is comfortable bed , and big shower with toilet as I'm not small,I'll carry on reading and keep my eye out in the for sale section. Total budget is about _5000 in total

Alcorn63

Thanks my main want,is comfortable bed , and big shower with toilet as I'm not small,I'll carry on reading and keep my eye out in the for sale section. Total budget is about _5000 in total. The other thing I've thought of is buying a insurance write of modern caravan and strip out what's needed. As not averse to use good second hand parts

BigStevie

My non negotiable in my build was a fixed king size bed! Look at your floor space and see what fits where. I’ve got my bed on a platform in the rear half of the van, water tank and boot space underneath.
Perhaps an old caravan bathroom might do the trick for you?

Alcorn63

Yes your right about planning ,first thing is to strip it all out I think? It's got a lot of pluses. Night heater,blow air wired into diesel tank, lights throughout van , sky lights ,and a good plus massive batteries in passenger area that operated the internal wheel chair winch. I think I need to plan what's going where then get electrics sorted.

roadliner

One thing to check when you start stripping out is what or how much insulation is in there. I have no experience of ex NHS vehicles so may be worth seeing what is behind the internal panelling.

Alcorn63

Looks like theirs plenty their,and decent quality. It was a disabled transport ambulance, so it fully lined out and has air conditioning and diesel heating in back,as well as loads of 12v lights etc

BigStevie

That’s a lot of work you don’t have to do! Looking forward to see how you go with your plans. Good luck with your project.

Stevie

Alcorn63

Hi All, got all the decals off and it's now back to white. Looking very good if I say so myself. Had a bit of a chew on with electrics,pressed the electric isolator button and couldn't get it to reset. After a day going through all fuses and racking my brains ,noticed fresh solder on live battery terminal flat copper connection plate had snapped and been bodged so done a temporary repair and got it running until new connection arives. Removed a lot of equipment and seats but have booked in local garage to remove rests as soon bolts and brackets hidden underneath,and I can't get under to old and fat anyway it's coming on . Can I please ask ,I'm constantly getting network/server error ,when trying to reply? AM I doing something wrongScreenshot_20191030_133649_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg ?

Alcorn63

Does anybody know an mobile auto electrician near Bishop Auckland? Need auxiliary battery moving from passenger seating area and extending to back end of van

Alcorn63

Oh forgot to say all these leather seats and strong cuboards are available ** free** if anyone can use them fold up ,fixed and swivel in green leather . Collected from Bishop Auckland

Alcorn63

Just about all stripped out and all decals removed and back to all white. Trying to work out interio ? I have 12ft in length x 5ft 8" wide and 6ft in height. This is working area ,i.e its lined and insulated. was thinking of 2 single beds just bellow window height about 6ft long by 26" wide. slightly higher up to create storage for leisure batteries and waste and water tanks. plus easy access from back doors open. Reason for single is incase I go fishing etc with son or M8. Would love to fit a small kitchen in ,with toilet and shower plus seating for 2 any comments or suggestions ?

BigStevie

As regards extra seating. Assuming you mean for extra passengers? I’d be tempted to keep a single or double seat from your strip out. They’ll be legal with belts, proper mounts etc.
Watch how much weight goes behind the back axle. Having said this, if you’re removing a load of heavy stuff from the back end, shouldn’t be too bad. Be on guard, the weight soon adds up with water and batteries!
If you do the two single beds, assuming they’re side by side, easy enough to make a fill in panel so you end up with one big bed when you need it!

Alcorn63

Can I ask your advice please on 2 things ,Insurance been quoted £272 fully Comp best so far Adrian flux camper conversion up to a year to complete. ? Seems decent next nearest Caravan and Camping £285.Any better suggestions. The other thing is road tax ? Done online it charged me £0 for year as vehicle is still registered as an Ambulance. Rang DVLA they absolutely won't change group until conversion completed. I said change to a van ,they said no because it has windows all round ,can't change to a minibus as all seats removed ? Suggested private light goods as well no joy because I'd already stated stripping out as a campervan . Just told me to change useage when completed and send in documentation with relevant information when completed.? Bit strange ??

BigStevie

I’d make a note of the time and day of the call and have the free tax. I mean, you’ve tried to be totally honest...... if you’re really concerned, ask a local traffic cop, explain what dvla said. I know his answer will be something like ‘bl**dy dvla’ and a shrug.