Fridge/Freezer Suitable For Van

Ollie2020

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests I'm looking for recommendations on a good quality, low power usage fridge/freezer. Ideally id like one 1/3 freezer and 2/3 fridge however I will consider something with a freezer box.

I'm open to how it will be powered as I'm in the early stages so happy to consider most options!

Thank you!

Sandbagsid

Most van fridges have a freezer box , you can get bigger ones with a separate freezer that are as you say 1third freezer 2thirds fridge. Mostly they are what is known as three way powered ie gas, 12volt and 240volt. Not cheap though. Some go for a domestic one much cheaper but only run on240volt. Hope this is helpful

VanNV

whole books could be written on this subject!

for extended periods off-grid you would be best off looking at "three way" fridges - 240v/12v/gas - it's the gas option that keeps them going but they need a proper flue and can be temperamental.

a "cheap" option can be to run a normal domestic 240v fridge via an inverter, but not necessarily efficient as inverters use power just to keep themselves running. They can also have noisy fans which is a bugger when you are trying to sleep in a van.

If you move a lot to charge the batteries, or have good solar installation, a 12v compressor fridge can be pretty efficient but you will need deep pockets and long arms. This is the option I went for in my van, just a cool box really (mobicool fr40) but it was nearly 300 quid! It is, however, very efficient, it cools very quickly on 12v or 240v and could be maintained by a moderate solar panel even in the UK (maybe not in the depths of winter) and I love the idea of using sunshine to cool my beer (c;

VanNV

I’m going to fit a top loader to my conversion, saw them in the October Motorhome show at the NEC. Fitting it on drawer runners and it will go under the bed.
Mate does this on his boat - much better for efficiency - front loaders spill the cold air out every time you open them. You can utilise space very well too, but be aware of where the heat is going. You don't want to end up keeping a fridge in a hot cupboard (c:

Littleoldman

VanNV, it was the efficiency and hopefully less power usage that has convinced me to get the top loader. I have no idea how much better it is on power usage compared to the front opener. But it seems more practical to me, I have a fixed bed at the rear and there’s just enough room to fit it between the shower/toilet and the kitchen unit, I can’t access the mechanicals from inside the van will have to do that at the rear doors.

Charles

We've got the FR40 as an extra fridge we sometimes take with us. It uses 2.5 amps when first switched on and the inside temperature is higher but settles down to just over 2 amps when down to temperature. The computer type axial fan is noisier than the compressor but you soon get used to it, it could possibly be slowed down if it annoys you.

xfact

Funny enough, a lot of the big names in RV industry, rebrand Indel B fridges under their own name. I have ben using the TB55A for 3 years now and am more that happy. TB55 though, does not have the two separate temp’s. On a very warm summer day, with the fridge inside the hot van, the usage per day is around 15-20 ah, that will be 200-250 watts.

david.c.hall

Funny enough, a lot of the big names in RV industry, rebrand Indel B fridges under their own name. I have ben using the TB55A for 3 years now and am more that happy. TB55 though, does not have the two separate temp’s. On a very warm summer day, with the fridge inside the hot van, the usage per day is around 15-20 ah, that will be 200-250 watts.
In what way does 15-20 Ah equate to 200-250 watts?
I would have thought 360 - 480 watts!
David

xfact

Hi David, the formula is (Ah)*(V) = (Wh)
roughly 15+20 Ah is ~ 200-250 Wh. at 12VDC.
maybe you have 24V system?
am I wrong?