Electric drop down bed L4 Relay ?

Kermavio

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum.

Like you, we didn't want to keep making up the bed every night and then taking it down every morning. So we opted for a longer van with a fixed bed at the back. This means that the sitting / dining area is just behind the cab. If you went for something along those lines, you might be able to turn a bench seat into a bed for one of the kids with a hammock above for the other.

But you wouldn't be able to do that in a Boxer. You'd need something like a Daily, a Sprinter or a Crafter.

Or, depending on your licence, something bigger again like an Optaire or a library bus.

Choices, choices, choices!!

S

squiffy

Thanks Phil.. probably lose a lot of that through my business.... lol! Buying new but won’t be able to order with single seat, to get best price it’s whatever stock is around so £15250 plus vat for L4H2 or £17400 plus vat for H3 version. Unless anyone has managed to order with single seat for that price ? Just looked at all your pictures, impressive, especially like the bathroom window. Been searching for your blog on the build but struggling, can you point me at it ?
Sorry Gary, called it a blog but it's actually just my build pictures, have to admit that I'm a bit lazy on the explanation side, just prefers to answer the odd question or two. Phil

Hi Gary, I am building an elevating bed in my LWB crafter. I took inspiration from another member on the sprinter-source forum, although he only showed glimpses of his setup. Mine will be a standard double foam mattress (thin) from Ikea (using their bed slats too) built onto an aluminium extrusion frame. Aluminium vertical supports at each corner. 4x750mm linear actuators support under the bed and push it up, it will be guided by the vertical support. (Bought the actuators from Alibaba - all the uk prices were hideous, that and I couldn't actually source the size I needed)! I was impressed with my first use of Alibaba btw.

This is my 2nd time building this van and Im a bit more considered in my approach this time so mapping it all out on sketchup as I go. Ive shown a glimpse of my unfinished sketchup plans.

Beneath the raised bed I will have a sofa area /double bed on one side and a storage unit taking up the remainder of the space. Head height will be lost when the bed gets pushed to the ceiling, but by keeping the bed and slat thickness to a minimum (mine will be circa 187mm) You don't lose too much head height. we're not particularly tall (I'm 1770mm or 5'10") the lowest part of the bed in the raised position will be 1691mm my wife a bit shorter, so you can stand albeit a bit stooped. But it does definitely make the space usable, and allow a family area beneath.

My actuators move at 20mm/s and take a load of 800N (80Kg each) but when they are stationary I am told they will take a lot more weight...

if you go down the multiple linear actuator route, remember to keep all wires equal length so they all operate at roughly the same speed.

Just need to find time to get building......

Dan

Last edited:

Gary Wrench

Awesome , two of us as mad as hatters !

I’ve found some 800mm actuators from Gimson Robotics which arnt too badly priced , I was going to use some 48mm T slot alloy extrusion for the vertical supports but have just found some heavy duty (200kg!) shelf sliders with 800mm stroke and mount those on timber... still undecided on that.. Still struggling to find the right van at the right price , some dealers are asking same price for a silver or black 3 year old van as a new one from the cheaper dealers (boxer L4 H3. ) . Would love to see some pictures of the build :)

Agreed totally mad. The gent from Gimson was very helpful and I felt bad not ordering from him, but the price from china was too good to ignore. plus he didn't have the 750mm which for me was the magic number. (he did offer to get it for me but would have taken him a few weeks. (I wonder where he would have purchased form :openedeyewink: - china I suspect!)

I am told the actuators are not good at taking stress in any direction other than up / down, so I reckon you need a solid attachment (not sure how much movement a shelf slider might have. (ie side to side or front to back) however would be keen to see a link if you wouldn't mind posting.

I am copying this guy (user ramcran) Have a feeling he used garage door sliders - https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34697&highlight=ramcran&page=4

also check out https://www.instagram.com/ourlibertyvan/?hl=en ( you will need to scroll to the very bottom annoyingly) but here you will see a lovely way to mount the Ikea slats to the Ali profile.

For the verticals I was planning to use 30x30 BR profile from these guys - http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/acatalog/Aluminium_Profile.html The remainder of the bed to be built out of 40x40, for a bit more strength.

Going to pick up my van today, it's been having some rust sorted.

If you haven't yet bought your van, my advice is wait for the spec you want, and definitely spec AC.

Dan

Attachments

Gary Wrench

Thanks for the links Dan, glad theres someone else looking at this and coming to the same conclusions as me. Looking at the BR profile vertical supports the sliding nuts that fit within would be better in the 45mm profile as they are threaded 8mm, in my mind the whole bed then sits on four 8mm bolts, whereas if you used the 30mm profile you are restricted to 6mm bolts. unless im missing something in your design. Garage door sliders - waiting for my forum registration to be accepted to view those images, its a thought.. looking at my garage door sliders its similar to unistrut which i had thought of using in the shallow 21mm variety but its steel and heavy ( although i do have a fair bit kicking around work, will look at unistruts catalogue for sliders as its more suited to bolting together.

How far along are you? have you a working mock up in the van yet? pictures please if so !

Thanks

Gary

Gary Wrench

Also Danny i'm using a Relay/Boxer, hoping for a 1.4m wide bed offset so i can have roof lockers down one side, havent decided wether to have the actuators at each corner of bed or extend the frame to the back of the lockers to keep the actuators out of the way.

fifthwheel

Your lower sofa/bed will it be a fixed size double that you use for seating when the bed is raised. If so to rest your back you will need to sit up to the rear of the van. This means your legs would not be able to dangle over the edge. Would you be comfortable sitting like this?
I ask as I have the same problem with my layout (I dont have a drop down bed) I had thought a pull up section in the bed as a back support would get over this but would need a bespoke mattress. john

Thanks for the links Dan, glad theres someone else looking at this and coming to the same conclusions as me. Looking at the BR profile vertical supports the sliding nuts that fit within would be better in the 45mm profile as they are threaded 8mm, in my mind the whole bed then sits on four 8mm bolts, whereas if you used the 30mm profile you are restricted to 6mm bolts. unless im missing something in your design. Garage door sliders - waiting for my forum registration to be accepted to view those images, its a thought.. looking at my garage door sliders its similar to unistrut which i had thought of using in the shallow 21mm variety but its steel and heavy ( although i do have a fair bit kicking around work, will look at unistruts catalogue for sliders as its more suited to bolting together.

How far along are you? have you a working mock up in the van yet? pictures please if so !

Thanks

Gary
Cheers Gary, I was hoping 6mm would be sufficient... the problem with 45x45 is weight.... and size. Its only a slider to keep it on the straight and narrow, the weight will be supported by the actuators underneath.

I'm not that far along, Ikea in exeter opens 10th may. so waiting to go and get the bed parts. I also need to commit and order the aluminium. I do have the actuators ready to go.

just collected van from the bodyshop. I need to pull my old floor out, repair some holes, insulate, lay new floor then I'll be ready to build the bed...

I'm afraid the pics don't clearly show the sliders he had... but he does mention them.

RE - relay- nice and wide, so you will have much more space to play with... although I suspect they also narrow a lot at the ceiling... the sprinters/crafters narrow to circa 1425mm at the very top. I am looking at 2 very narrow units either side.. (think rest your cup of tea on width)

Where are you located Gary? I'm down near Exeter. Would be keen to pickup a chat sometime so we can exchange idea's. pm me your details if you fancy it.

Hoping to find time to detail the build a bit this time, maybe even the odd you tube video. We have 3 small children under 2 so finding time to do anything else is tough.

Dan

Your lower sofa/bed will it be a fixed size double that you use for seating when the bed is raised. If so to rest your back you will need to sit up to the rear of the van. This means your legs would not be able to dangle over the edge. Would you be comfortable sitting like this?
I ask as I have the same problem with my layout (I dont have a drop down bed) I had thought a pull up section in the bed as a back support would get over this but would need a bespoke mattress. john
ciao John,

Has to be custom mattress at the bottom. think sofa: where the base pulls out, you take the sofa back cushion and place on the pull out to form the bed. (already have suitable foam from my old bed, so will just need to get the material.)

Dan

Last edited:
glad theres someone else looking at this and coming to the same conclusions as me.

Gary
For the record, it's a stupid idea! Ridiculous & unnecessarily complicated.

But I think it will be awesome.... and hopefully worth the hassle to be able to take the family places, and have some living space in the van.

Pugwash

I saw a video this morning of someone else's bed, but that was on a pulley to lessen the load. It's about 5 minutes into this video:

Gary Wrench

My lower sofa will be just that, two 6’ sofas that become single beds, lift parts for the bed above should be out of the way

Gary Wrench

Cheers Gary, I was hoping 6mm would be sufficient... the problem with 45x45 is weight.... and size. Its only a slider to keep it on the straight and narrow, the weight will be supported by the actuators underneath.

I'm not that far along, Ikea in exeter opens 10th may. so waiting to go and get the bed parts. I also need to commit and order the aluminium. I do have the actuators ready to go.

just collected van from the bodyshop. I need to pull my old floor out, repair some holes, insulate, lay new floor then I'll be ready to build the bed...

I'm afraid the pics don't clearly show the sliders he had... but he does mention them.

RE - relay- nice and wide, so you will have much more space to play with... although I suspect they also narrow a lot at the ceiling... the sprinters/crafters narrow to circa 1425mm at the very top. I am looking at 2 very narrow units either side.. (think rest your cup of tea on width)

Where are you located Gary? I'm down near Exeter. Would be keen to pickup a chat sometime so we can exchange idea's. pm me your details if you fancy it.

Hoping to find time to detail the build a bit this time, maybe even the odd you tube video. We have 3 small children under 2 so finding time to do anything else is tough.

Dan
Hi Dan, Miles away in Cheshire lol !
I was thinking the pin goes through the bed frame, through the top pin of the actuator and through into a slider in the vertical Aluminum extrusion.. where 6mm just wouldn’t be enough. I have 1600mm at the top of the van - measured an H2 we have at work, H3 will narrow slightly more high up.

Gary Wrench

Well ive seen some right sheds of 12-18month old vans and travelled all over the country to see them. waste of time.

Just had a nice chat with a guy from Pentagon vehicles, brand new L4H3 boxer in metallic with air con and rear parking sensors is £17k plus vat - tbh its only £2k more than some of the vans ive been to look at BUT single passenger seat is no cost option and bulkhead delete is no cost option ( saves buying the trim for £300 when removing bulkhead) also a fixed window in sliding door is £60.. so I'll have that and maybe swap it for opening bonded window at later date when funds allow - conversion costs need to be cut a bit as im now having a new van. but build now delayed as new van wont arrive until July/August.

Gary

D

Deleted member

A new van really is a nice way to go if you can afford it. Good luck with your conversion when your van arrives. Geoff.

master

Hi

As this is now a year on did any of you manage an electric bed? we have a new Relay L3 H3 to convert. We already did a Master with a drop down manual bed in the side door area but looking to improve this time
Thanks

Gary Wrench

Haha.. still in kit form... I got sidetracked with another build (or two !) I'll be restarting it shortly as i need it done for summer ! I have all the alumimium extrusion for the vertical runners and bed frame and i also have some 1m extension electric acutuators and wiring with switches for front and rear. So the bed will sit in the roof and lower 1m . As we have a H3 that gives enough space below for the kids beds and enough for us to sit up in bed above - i hope ! couple of weeks I'll be back on it i promise.

master

Thanks, will let you know if we manage to move forward with ours