DVLA Nightmare, now insurance are cancelled.

Pugwash

Don't try to confuse them :) I bought a blue bike once that said RED on the V5. I gave them my details and told them it was blue. In fact they've been told it's blue several times in the last 3 years but it's still recorded as red.

D

Deleted member 63

There is a place on the V5 for change of details including colour, did you fill that bit in?

D

Deleted member 63

Well boyo, it's not liking us English now isn't it look you in the valleys Baa Baa.

No offence meant to folk from Wales, just stereotyping.

Really appreciate the support, can't emphasize how much I appreciate the (good) words. I don't suppose there's like a repository of vehicles that have been reclassified that I can draw upon to support my case. It's interesting to note Coire's van and the external appearance of it. On the DVLA's guidance, this is particularly interesting.

'If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.'

Begs the question, are they acting illegally?

Trouble is, I'm worried if I corner the DVLA too much (as I might have done already) they are simply going to completely shut down and bury themselves in the sand. There's something bad going on, real incompetence and I doubt they want that exposed.

Wanderer

This is an extract from the DVLA requirements

provide clear evidence that what you have made is permanently a ‘motor caravan’ and that the furniture and fixings have been fitted to a satisfactory standard

Having looked at your photos, how can you possibly claim it has been fitted out to a satisfactory standard. I know this is not what you want to hear but I agree with the DVLA in this instance. There has to be standards below which are not acceptable. Have a look at the photos of other conversions on this forum and you will see that your conversion is miles away from them.

This is an extract from the DVLA requirements

provide clear evidence that what you have made is permanently a ‘motor caravan’ and that the furniture and fixings have been fitted to a satisfactory standard

Having looked at your photos, how can you possibly claim it has been fitted out to a satisfactory standard. I know this is not what you want to hear but I agree with the DVLA in this instance. There has to be standards below which are not acceptable. Have a look at the photos of other conversions on this forum and you will see that your conversion is miles away from them.
I've no idea where you came from, but I wish you would quit being so utterly sanctimonious and unhelpful.

D

Deleted member 2

Rob, I am very sorry to say that I have to agree with so many others that if those were the photographs you submitted to the DVLA then I can fully understand why you are being treated by them in the way you are!

For instance the 2 images you show in your first post on this lengthy discussion of the the front and rear of the van showing the reg. no., did you actually squiggle out the number so it can't be seen? If you did then that alone is a sure reason for their refusal.

The interior doesn't look finished, most especially in the shot showing a dangling sheet that blanks out the cab area, and why send them images of work units which are patently not finished?

Honestly, please take a step back and long slow look at the kind of images that others on here have submitted to the DVLA and see if you can find some way of making your submission distinctly more professional.

It deeply hurts me to see you accusing @Wanderer as being "so utterly sanctimonious and unhelpful", take stock of what others have said and do as what was written on so many of my school reports in former years "Philip must try a lot harder"

Good luck

Phil

Ballcock

I've no idea where you came from, but I wish you would quit being so utterly sanctimonious and unhelpful.
How is the wanderers comments sanctimonious or unhelpful? Unfortunately your photographs do not show a completed conversion to a satisfactory finish, there is no apparent table on show and the cabinets look unfinished. The water storage does not look permanent. You may be happy with your work but if the DVLA aren't they won't reclassify it. Studying the completed conversions on this site you will see that the standards in many cases are extremely high. As some other comments have been made, make it look like what they want and they will reclassify it. I see Buzzy Beans beat me to it

D

Deleted member 63

We are all here to help you submit a qualifying report to DVLA to ensure your van is changed to motor caravan on the V5.

Yesterday I asked you to post all the pictures you have of your van, so we could possibly point you in the right direction, also a copy of the covering letter you sent to DVLA, once you've done that we might be able to help, but not much until we see what they have seen.

What I have seen so far wouldn't get my approval, so why not help us to help you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wanderer

Please don't take this personally as often criticism can be helpful in pointing you in the right direction. As has been mentioned, take a step back, look at what you done and look at it with a critical eye to see were you can make improvements. There are many very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum that will willingly give you advice and guidance. The reason this forum exists is to help and advise those who need it so why not make the most of it and I am sure you will eventually realise your ambition.

Fran Loake

You're only beat if you stop trying...
Keep working at it, improve the look of it, improve the pictures. Take them on a sunny day in a park/site with a chair outside. Put bedding on the bed etc etc.

Criticism that is written is often difficult to swallow but nothing would change in this instance if everyone agreed with you.

Fran

Liberty hall

NV
We’re all here to help though as has been said take a step back look at images you sent.. I know when one hits the red mist you can’t see the woods for the trees. As has been mentioned take a look at showcase or media on here to see what members have sent to the DVLA.... To help here’s 2 of Muttley

EBBF9F1C-8D1B-4260-8552-5A310493A24F.png 8F65D319-726F-47B0-9265-20EB7B2784F0.png Hope this helps you....Ken

S

squiffy

I dont know exactly how others feel but to me this thread is done to death, NV must now know what has to be done, I really hope he takes all advice on board and finally gets the V5 changed, lets hope a different thread by NV appears and tells of his change in fortune. :winkytongue: Phil

Hear hear to all - enough already - You can take a horse to water etc etc.
I don’t get this ‘conspiracy theory’ re the DVLA, do exactly what they ask for, to a reasonable standard and evidence the work done properly and it becomes a pretty straightforward process.
Like all large organisations they do get things wrong sometimes. I am in the process of getting my kitcar through the IVA, I have been building the car (I’m ashamed to admit) for 16 years so you can imagine the sort of red tape I am now facing. I have been totally amazed at how helpful they have been during this process.
Self building can only flourish and continue if self builders try to ensure that their work meets the requirements of DVLA’s guidance, which in my view is not that onerous. Doing otherwise on a regular basis IMO can only make the DVLA more cautious and stringent and may even lead to (for our conversions) something akin to the IVA for kit built cars, which now incurs a cost of £450!
Stuart

D

Deleted member 63

Oh no we don't want to be doing that, as you say Stuart, it's not a bid deal, maybe a bit more difficult with a smaller van, but you only need a few things to look right and bingo, V5 sorted, there are enough posts in this forum for no one to misunderstand what is required.

D

Deleted member

so many of my school reports in former years "Philip must try a lot harder"

Good luck

Phil
Mine usually said "Geoffrey talks too much" - I wonder why!!!! I can't keep up with you though Phil. Geoff.;););)

It deeply hurts me to see you accusing @Wanderer as being "so utterly sanctimonious and unhelpful", take stock of what others have said and do as what was written on so many of my school reports in former years "Philip must try a lot harder"

Good luck

Phil
I appreciate the good luck wishes, but around here I think I'll need some not just with the DVLA. I was hoping my quote from the DVLA that goes along the lines of 'Internal appearance is of a you know what....but externally still remains as a flying teapot ' unfortunately that last paragraph is no good for ego rubbing purposes so let it kindly be omitted forthwith.

D

Deleted member

Please, listen to what people here have said and try to make the van look a bit more like a permanently finished article and not as though in ten minutes it could be easily dismantled. This is not a being critical, but intended as encouragement. I am sure that you will get it re classified if you stick with it. Good luck. Geoff.