DVLA Campervan/Motorhome registration requirements

  • Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2

The factor of registering our efforts to change a vehicle into a campervan or motorhome is not one we should take lightly, as there are legal requirements of registration to follow when we have done so.

Here below you will find reproduced the requirements as given on the DVLA website https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registering-a-diy-caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome

Many of us have already had our labours registered and in so saying, some of us might just have pushed the boundaries of the DVLA’s exacting requirements very slightly! But in each and every instance, if anyone has been seen to bend the rules by the DVLA, they only have themselves to blame if their fudging of the legal requirements results in the authorities rejection of their application.

The overriding aspect of any conversion is that in the DVLA’s inspectors eyes, your efforts must look like FULLY FINISHED campervan or motorhome, so don’t submit applications showing a half done job.

As so many of us have done, when communicating with the DVLA, make certain your application is both forthright and extensive so as to ensure the recipient has absolutely no doubt about what they are looking at. In my case, I detailed most aspects of the cost of the build, I also prepared a document which was as professionally written and laid out as my limited computer skills could muster, with this including 14 photographs showing a large cross section of the finished motorhome, with each photograph having a description. Also, always send your application by, to be signed for, registered post.

If you choose to not follow the DVLA guidelines, then if your application is refused, you will now have a better understanding as to why it has been refused!

Furthermore, if you application meets with success, it is a good idea to save the document and send it to you insurance company when trying to get an agreed valuation.


This topic has been discussed at length ever since we formed our oh so friendly and knowledge based forum on the 26th March 2016. So to make certain no one has to search forever to find out the all important detail as laid down by the Government, this post is a ‘stickie’, it is also one where no comments can be posted.

Good luck.


V5C log book
It is a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C log book. All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of ‘motor caravan’. If you have converted a van into a motor caravan then you must return the V5C to DVLA for body type amendment.

DVLA is required to record the details of vehicles for road safety and law enforcement. The body type information held on the vehicle record must describe what a vehicle actually looks like. This description, in addition to other distinguishing features, enables the police and other enforcement agencies to identify a particular vehicle. Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home.

Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

  • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

How to change V5C classification
DVLA will require photographic evidence of the completed conversion showing the changes made, along with a description of the work carried out and any receipts.

If you fail to provide sufficient clear evidence of the changes made DVLA may wish to inspect the vehicle prior to approving a change to the V5C.

You will need to complete section 7 on your V5C (and any other changes) and send it with the required evidence it to:
Not open for further replies.