Dvla again......

fifthwheel

I notice on Facebook most if not all van conversions are being refused this last few weeks at DVLA.
Not because they are bad attempts I think they have had another change of mind as to the outside appearance of the van
One man said he had a long polite conversation with a lady there and asked as she was turning this van down
If he built another what would he have to do to comply, she couldn't tell him. :)

BigStevie

Is this to do with windows I wonder? I did hear that the DVLA wanted to clamp down on stealth conversions, I know they’re already refusing camper status to vans with big garages in the back (big garage = load carrying capability).

My last VW transporter conversion had a single burner cooker which they were happy to accept (rules state 2 burner minimum) as the van was clearly fully converted to a camper. I do believe that a small amount of flexibility exists with the person who is processing the application.

Ultimately, the vehicle needs to look like what your applying for it to be be. If it looks like a camper, a camper it will be!

I’d be interested to see how others get on with their applications to the DVLA.

Stevie

Gary Wrench

I’ve just sent mine off before I came away, really needs some motorhome type stickers but it’s clearly a camper, windows all round , noted all the motorhome stuff with all pictures such as loo access point, hook up, water tank fill and both waste points, solar panels and rooflights etc, as with my last one I said it was nearly finished and just needed the ‘motorhome graphics’ applying and side step fitting... let’s see what happens.

activecampers

I’ve just sent mine off before I came away, really needs some motorhome type stickers but it’s clearly a camper, windows all round , noted all the motorhome stuff with all pictures such as loo access point, hook up, water tank fill and both waste points, solar panels and rooflights etc, as with my last one I said it was nearly finished and just needed the ‘motorhome graphics’ applying and side step fitting... let’s see what happens.
Will be a van with windows.
Nothing has got through as campervan since June.
Rules and requirements are changing.....
Problem is, they should've published them before saying "as from" - but they didn't
Talk is they may change existing vans retrospectively....

Massive chatter on other self build forums/facebook

BigStevie

Hmmm... just spoke to a traffic cop about this. He told me he was unsure what the results of the latest DVLA shenanigans will be. But, he added that the intention was to have rules in place to make Motorhomes identifiable. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think this is all about stealth vans and motorhomes with load carrying capacity, ie garages.. He suggested putting stickers on the vehicle saying “Motorhome”..... sounds obvious, but sometimes the obvious isn’t, well, obvious.

It’ll be interesting to see how all this ends up. If anyone gets any feedback at all from the dvla, I hope they’ll post it!

Confused Stevie

activecampers

Hmmm... just spoke to a traffic cop about this. He told me he was unsure what the results of the latest DVLA shenanigans will be. But, he added that the intention was to have rules in place to make Motorhomes identifiable. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think this is all about stealth vans and motorhomes with load carrying capacity, ie garages.. He suggested putting stickers on the vehicle saying “Motorhome”..... sounds obvious, but sometimes the obvious isn’t, well, obvious.

It’ll be interesting to see how all this ends up. If anyone gets any feedback at all from the dvla, I hope they’ll post it!

Confused Stevie
That's been done!
Stickers, bike racks, awnings, pop-top etc - all rejected since May

The *rumour* is only campervans at first registration (e.g. pro builds) will be permitted as motorcaravans - and self builds will no longer be reclassified. Not sure what the bigger picture is, tax, speed, or whatever.

On facebook there are 100s of posts, with vans that look pro build (even one pro builder, ltd company etc) whose vans look pro, is now getting rejected as his vans aren't on new vehicles......

No one really knows.....

Garages are also grey area - even carrying pushbikes can be classed as "day van" now, different class, but only "new pros" get away with it. Its two sets of rules.