confused!

euroroamers

hi all.
we want a hi-top self build campervan.do we buy a ready made 1/buy a basic van,strip out,build to our spec/buy a van,get it reg as a campervan.
there are just 2 of us,and we previously have "motorhomed" europe for 5 years.we then realised we need something smaller-easy parking-basic etc.are some vans wide enough to put in a bed across the back[i am 6ft] ideally looking for a 5m max length for parking.any advice gratefully recieved.

tacr2man

It depends on whether you want to get going or spend a fair while building one , if you have the skills , and if you are going to be able to meet the new DVLA requirements so as to get it registered as a motorcaravan . The other big factor of course is budget .

euroroamers

been in touch with a campervan conversion company asking about the regs for paperwork.they said the rules changed a few months ago.i dont mind which way i get a van.i do have spare time to build my own,but trying to find a basic van reg as a camper is hard work.

Roadrunner

been in touch with a campervan conversion company asking about the regs for paperwork.they said the rules changed a few months ago.i dont mind which way i get a van.i do have spare time to build my own,but trying to find a basic van reg as a camper is hard work.
You wont that easy,best by a clean older camper and refit inside to your requirements.

euroroamers

question.if we make our own furniture,but DONT attach it inside the van,is that allowed? most of our time will be spent in europe!

Sandbagsid

Be ok till ya go round a roundabout:cool: what will stop it all falling over if ya don’t fix it. Just saying .

euroroamers

just watched a yank use straps[orange 1s]to hold everything in place.does anyone know if i can drive it as a van legally?

tacr2man

You wont be able to "drive" it as anything else , as it wont meet requirements of motorcaravan especially since the new requirements have been brought out .

euroroamers

but can i just drive it as a van? nobody knows we are in the back.can i get away without the campervan paperwork.

tacr2man

It will be a van , so yes you can drive it as a van . It wont have motorcaravan in V5
This may cause problems on some sites in UK , as if it doesnt fit with requirements of say Caravan and Motorhome club they may not allow you to use their site , same as having a van with a matress thrown in back . Its all a matter of degree . There are some vehicles that now have descriptor of van with windows rather than motorcaravan in V5 , but are having no problem accessing caravan sites . Hope that makes sense . :)

euroroamers

will be using it in europe 90% of the time.do you know the rules/regs of what bare minimum needs to be done to get the papers changed? cheers for the help!

tacr2man

Roadrunner

Leaving things loss is a disaster in a crash and you will pos have no insurance,its ether a comerc/van or a camper,this is why laws have been tightened to cut this nonsence out and police can see which is a van and which is a camper.

Coire

This is all a really frustrating grey area made significantly worse with the new regs from DVLA. It's especially bad if you want a small van given the DVLA now want awning rails, extra windows and a high top.

The old advice I would have given is to put the work in to get it all to basic DVLA motor caravan spec. With basic DIY skills it isn't difficult, just time consuming and it is nice to have a finished nicely presented end product.

With the change in regs that all goes out of the window as DVLA will not reclassify a small van no matter how much effort you put in.

So now I would say stuff it. Convert it whatever way suits your travel plans and keep it registered as a van. Bypass the DVLA completely and accept that you will have to adhere to the lower van speed limits.

Insurance wise you can carry whatever you please in the back of your van (within limits of flammables, immigrants, dead bodies etc) if it isn't bolted in. If you safely ratchet strap everything to the load lashing points you are using the van 100% as intended by design and thus you won't need to declare your furniture as modifications. After all, you could be carrying the contents to your local dump for all anyone knows.

This allows you a great deal more freedom in your build as you no longer need to worry about plumbed in gas and water, double hobs, bed sizes, windows, decals etc.

I ran my old swb vivaro for two years like this and travelled over 40 thousand miles with a basic camper layout, full width bed, portable stove and slide out crates under the bed. I told insurance what I was carrying and they told me they only cared about modifications to the actual vehicle. I had to declare my side windows as a mod, but that was all.

When I fully converted it and had it reclassified to motor caravan, my insurance went up 200% and I could no longer drive it to work so it was an actual disadvantage to do so.

Coire

By the way I recommend Vivaros / Trafics as a base vehicle, either the old 1.9 or anything post 2012 2.0. They are galvanised and don't rust, are cheap to run and drive like a car, and fit in multistorey car parks or standard parking spaces without trouble.

The gearboxes are terrible and most need refurbed.. that's the bad part.

euroroamers

coire,thanks for the advice.what you said about non-permanent fittings is the way we want go.just a very basic van,just filling in time slots now and again.what about a transit?