Citroen Relay / Peugeot Boxer (ford 2.2 engine) diagnostic tools ??

Chris Shaw

Just had the van MOT'd, afterward the guy came over and said he's put an advisory on dashboard lights, apparently the TPMS dashboard light is partially illuminated until you plug in the seat belt!!!! Thankfully he couldn't fail it because the van doesn't have TPMS and there was nothing wrong with the seatbelt.

He advised having a diagnostic run to check for a faulty module. Given a diag run costs between £50-80 I was thinking of getting a diag tool and run it myself, I would also want one capable of resetting the oil service light and resetting the oil mileage.

Anyone have any good experience of diag tools that will work on the Citroen Relay (2.2 ford engine, 6 speed box)?

Groyne

Try this for resetting service light.

1. Turn off the ignition.
  2. Fully depress the GAS PEDAL and the BRAKE PEDAL.
  3. Turn the ignition key to “ON” position without starting the engine.
  4. Continue holding the gas and brake pedals until the CHANGE ENGINE OIL appears on the display.
  5. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.

Chris Shaw

Hi

Long time since we spoke.

Yeah unfortunately it's not the service light. The dash has a TPMS led, which on my vehicle is not used as I don't have TMPS. So after the initial engine start when all the light usually extinguish and the seatbelt light lit, the TMPS is very dimly lit (around 10% brightness), when I plug the seatbelt in the seatbelt light extinguishes and the TMPS lamp goes completely out.

So looks light I need to run a diagnostic check to see if there is a module showing any errors.

After some research on-line there seems to be a lot of support for a lexia 3 system, but still researching.

xdmon

Our Citroen relay does this. If the fasten seatbelt light is on then several dash lights dimley illuminate including the lane departure warning light. The van doesn't have a lane departure warning system. Had me very confused for while till I figured out what was going on.

Chris Shaw

Misterg: Thanks I will follow that up... Certainly sounds like I may have that problem. The van has been sitting on the drive for 4 months so probably got damp:teary:

Xdmon: Mine is only the TPMS at the moment, luckily as the van doesn't have TPMS it didn't fail the MOT:) he just put an advisory on tom get it checked.

xdmon

Funnily enough I never considered there might be a fault. I just assumed it was light bleeding into area's it shouldn't be resulting in partial illumination. I might have to go take another look when I get time. Like yours our van has been mainly sitting for the past 6 months so could be damp maybe.

Mudfun

What you need is a bluetooth OBD reader that connects to your phone you can get them from Ebay or amazon I have one permanently connected to my Relay

misterg

could be damp maybe.
You may be right: I read somewhere (possibly in one of those threads above) that the problem affects motorhomes more than vans. One of the theories is that condensation plays a part, although I believe the 'fix' is to replace a specific component on the circuit board with a different version. This supposedly stops the problem recurring (but I can't reconcile the description of the fix with humidity / condensation being the cause ???).

Chris Shaw

I've seen a couple of pictures of the circuit board on various youtube videos, there appears to be one large black chip on the board. I assume that's the microprocessor.

With regards to dampness. I'm an electronics engineer, unfortunately there are issues with humidity in electronics chips. It can seep in where the pins exit the package.

PCB assembly lines that assemble PCB's with surface mount chips have special drying ovens for chips. If they go onto the assembly conveyor, and there is any humidity inside the chips they can explode when they go into the solder ovens.

Most chips come into the factory vacuum packed and inside the pack there is a bag of desiccant an indicator strip that discolour if the humidity inside the package reaches a certain level.

The FR4 (glass fibre) PCBs can also absorb humidity, If they've been out of there sealed packages for any length of time we have to pre bake them.

So I can quite believe that the original microprocessor designed into the cluster was found to have issue with humidity. According the the links above they revised the design in 2015, they could have designed in a new higher spec chip or they could have used a sealer on the board to stop the humidity getting to the chip.

The fact that Cartronix quote 40 mins to fix the panel suggests it's a quick fix for them, maybe a IC change?