Battery Charging

sparrow

Hopefully a fairly simple question - I'd like leave the leisure and main starter battery on trickle charge when parked up at home.

What options are there to connect to a normal home socket?
We'll probably have two 150Ah leisure batteries and the normal 115Ah (I think) starter.

Wissel

Do you have a 240v charger in your van? If so, just connecting your EHU lead should do the job?

If not, do you have solar? If so, which controller (might be one that charges LB & SB?)

Liberty hall

We have a Ctek MXs 25 which when on EHU charges the leisure then vehicle batteries.. it’s a smart charger so will put a float charge over all once full.
Don’t ask me how as I don’t do the (Dark Art) actually saw Wiesel build all those years ago which made us decide on the Ctek route we also have the Ctek D250s to take care of the solar side!

sparrow

That sounds like the sort of thing we need.
We don't have solar yet, but will in the future.

Looks like I need to rephrase my question. Here goes.

I want a single device to handle charging. Inputs are/will be:
  • Alternator (I don't think it's smart, 2014 Citroen Relay)
  • EHU
  • Solar
Outputs are:
  • Leisure batteries on EHU when not driving
  • Leisure batteries on alternator when driving
  • Main battery on EHU
The two EHU outputs are covered by the CTEK device.
Does that have a split relay type function to take care of the driving option?

If that's too pie in the sky, I think I'm covered with a CTEK and separate split relay.

Liberty hall

As I say the (dark art) isn’t for me however the Ctek D250s charges leisure batteries from the alternator when on the move. In the 3 years we’ve had them fitted we’ve had no problems, however there not cheap!!its pretty much fit and forget!!
Re the Ctek on EHU we’ve only used it once and that was when we were on site and it was part of the charge (no pun intended)
Ps some on here will use the Sargent chargers!! Though you’ll have to wait till someone far more qualified then me can answer questions on them!! Good luck with the reasearch

Last edited:

Wissel

That sounds like the sort of thing we need.
We don't have solar yet, but will in the future.

Looks like I need to rephrase my question. Here goes.

I want a single device to handle charging. Inputs are/will be:
  • Alternator (I don't think it's smart, 2014 Citroen Relay)
  • EHU
  • Solar
Outputs are:
  • Leisure batteries on EHU when not driving
  • Leisure batteries on alternator when driving
  • Main battery on EHU
The two EHU outputs are covered by the CTEK device.
Does that have a split relay type function to take care of the driving option?

If that's too pie in the sky, I think I'm covered with a CTEK and separate split relay.
The only chargers that does all that in one unit (that I know of) are the Votronic VBCS range.

This one will charge a leisure battery at 30A when driving, 20A when on EHU and can have up to 250w of solar panels connected. It will also charge the vehicle battery when on EHU or solar available. Not cheap though:
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/02d-dc-dc-battery-chargers/votronic-3241-battery-charger-vbcs-30-20-250-triple-c85069/C85069

I have the big brother to this in my own van, the 60/40/430:
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/02d-dc-dc-battery-chargers/votronic-3245-battery-charger-vbcs-60-40-430-triple-c85071/C85071

There are loads of cheaper options that can be used, but not another all in one solution I'm aware of.

sparrow

Thanks for that, but no! x'Dx'D

One final question:
If I have a split relay fitted, any charger connected to the leisure battery won't charge the main battery.

How have people got around that?
I can think of some fairly simple relay setups that should work, but might be missing something obvious.

Wissel

This might be an option?
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/02d-dc-dc-battery-chargers/votronic-3324-battery-to-battery-charger-vcc-1212-30-c85065/C85065

I fitted one of these a few weeks ago in another members van. Very small and great quality, but it has the ability to trickle charge the vehicle battery as well. How it works is, the unit itself is a 30a B2B charger. A separate solar charger and 240v charger is then connected to the leisure battery as well (can be any make or model). When the solar charger or 240v charger are active, the B2B sees the increase in voltage and allows a trickle charge to the vehicle battery. Here it is fitted to show the size:
IMG_20190227_163226.jpg
And here is the manufacturers link where the manual can be downloaded:
https://www.votronic.de/index.php/en/products2/series-vcc/standard-version/vcc-1212-30-new#downloads

Hingy

Sorry to relight this thread, my question is along the same lines.... I'm installing a split charge on my van, it has a 115ah leisure battery and a 70ah cab battery, its a 2002 Citroën relay which I would assume would have an alternator which would throw out around 90 amps (?). I know I need a fuse straight after the cab battery and on after the relay switch... What size of fuse would you use on both... 100amp?

Thanks