For Sale 2010 Ford Transit project LWB high top, LPG

gus

Hi,

Up for sale is my Transit conversion based on the 145HP 2.3l petrol with LPG conversion. 141,575 miles (recon engine installed at 122k, see below).

Listing as a project as there is a bit of work to do on the inside and some mechanical issues, but it is usable (can sleep & cook) as is. I've been on holiday in it once and lived in it for a year.

Lining:

- 2 opening side windows
- Solid reclaimed pine floor & lower walls - very nice 9" boards, 18mm on the floor and 12mm on the walls
- 4mm hardwood ply elsewhere
- Wall cavity filled with Knauf earthwool & 6mm flooring underlay
- All exposed wood is finished with Osmo natural hardwax oil, except for the kitchen worktop which is varnished, and the kitchen door and underside of the storage shelf which are painted.

Bed/seating: The bed is comprised of 4 sections made out of pine furnitureboard on a 50x38mm timber frame. The front 3 sections are hinged together so that the middle 2 become the seat back, and the front one becomes the seat. There is a good amount of empty space between the seat and the kitchen when in the seat position, and the bed area is also nice and big in the bed position - approx 2.1m x 1.7m. There is storage accessible under the seat. This is also where the batteries and spare tyre are, in specially made compartments (spare is usually under the van but the LPG tank takes up that space).

Storage:

- 2-level shelf above the rear of the bed provides a very large single storage compartment. There are no doors etc on it but the way it is constructed means that things very rarely fall out of it
- Large shelf above the cab, also no doors but again there is a piece of wood going across that stops anything sliding out

Kitchen:

The kitchen is situated across the front of the van and consists of:

- 18mm plywood worktop
- Dometic 2-hob gas cooker and sink combo. Piezo ignition. Tap with 12v submerged pump in 25l water container (drains into another 25l container)
- Under the sink is a sealed unit with a latching door for access to the gas, water & waste, with a gas drop-out hole.
- Gaslow refillable LPG bottle (same attachment as the van's LPG) with 80% overfill protection
- 2 drawers for utensils etc

Divider between the cab and the living space is a sheet of 5mm ply on a pulley system based on a window blind mechanism - it slides up from behind the worktop and stays in place by itself when you let go of the cord.

Electrics:

- 300W solar panel
- 2 x 140Ah Explorer leisure batteries

Bad points/work needed:

- There is a solar charge controller (ViewStar VS5024N) but I accidentally connected the battery wires the wrong way round and fried it the other day, so this needs replacing. There are 6 wires to connect - 2 from the battery, 2 from the solar panel, and 2 going to the fusebox. Any 12v controller rated for 50A or more will drop in.

- 4mm ply on the walls is something I would probably change if carrying on with it myself, and do pine cladding instead (sturdier and nicer looking). Also the area over the cab is not clad with any timber, and there are 2 small sections of 4mm ply missing from the walls, with the foil side of the insulating underlay showing through.

- Lighting (I made do with a head torch and some temporary 12v lights but never fixed the cabling in properly)

Mechanical:

- I bought the van in spring 2017 and it blew up (complete engine failure) on the way home. I later learned that something had happened on the way to the auction site which possibly meant it had no oil in it
- I installed a reconditioned engine and decided to have the harmonic balancer taken out of the new one, as I suspected it had been involved in the failure and it's apparently not needed (there is a similar engine in the Ford Ranger that doesn't have it)
- During its MOT that year the water bottle burst. Not sure what caused what, but my mechanic (Central Garage Carcroft) discovered afterwards that the fan doesn't kick in when needed. This is still an issue and means that the engine will overheat if left idling or in slow-moving traffic in summer. I turn the heating on to avoid this, as it seems to remove enough heat from the engine, but obviously this should be fixed.
- Last year some wiring to the fuel pump failed due to corrosion; this has been replaced
- In June this year the starter relay failed (since been replaced)
- LPG system is due for a service
- Very light throttle causes the engine to hesitate, so you have to press down a bit more then ease off. I have made some attempts to diagnose this and haven't been able to. I think the worst case scenario is valves, which could be around £2,000 to fix.

I have put around 20,000 miles on the recon engine, and apart from the issues mentioned it runs well on petrol and LPG.

MOT til November. Long service history from the previous owner including clutch replacement.

£5,500

All viewings & test drives welcome - contact Gus on 07419821335

Attachments